Sign in with
Your question

Power problems with an XFX 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2010 3:00:27 AM

Hi everyone,

I just installed a new PSU, a Corsair tx850w, and a video card, an XFX Radeon HD 5770. I'm having some difficulty booting up. I say difficulty, because it does eventually boot, but it takes a while to get there. It's like a series of small brownouts happen before the machines goes to boot and POST.

When I hit the power button, the fans start to spin, and 2 clicks come from what I think is the video card (these are not like beeps you'd get normally if there's a MOBO problem, but they don't sound mechanical). Then the fans stop spinning. This happens 5-10 times before the machine actually goes on to boot normally.

I put back in the old video card and the machine booted normally. I tried the new card again using some of the other power connectors, but she still takes a few pumps before booting up. There are 3 case fans and some LED lights, but there should be more than enough power flowing through the system.

So, anybody have any thoughts?
a c 1408 U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 3:07:22 AM

Did you uninstall the old card properly before replacing it? Or is the new card trying to run on the drivers for the old card?
m
l
October 3, 2010 3:25:52 AM

Quote:
Did you uninstall the old card properly before replacing it?

Yes. All the power was off, I was grounded, and I pressed the button to unlatch the card rather than pulling with the might of 100 bison.

Quote:
is the new card trying to run on the drivers for the old card?

I did actually boot up before uninstalling the previous drivers the first time around. I uninstalled them after Windows booted with the new card in. The catalyst control center and drivers are not installing correctly; that's another problem I forgot to mention =) I figured that was another sign of a problematic card. I was going to try installing CCC and the drivers seperately and see if that makes any difference.

Though, the drivers shouldn't even come into play that early in the boot process, right?
m
l
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 3:41:43 AM

ive booted up plenty of times with no drivers. you just go into safe mode. it sounds like the video card may be damaged, can you return it?
m
l
October 3, 2010 3:53:32 AM

After entering the correct google incantation, I've found a few posts about similar problems (shamefully, one was on these forums).

It sounds like it's a problem with my MOBO, Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4. Several others fixed the problem by contacting gigabyte and getting a custom BIOS setup.

The secret google password, btw, is "radeon hd 5770 reboots 8 times"
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 6:52:29 AM

the clicks would be the hard drive trying to spin up, video cards dont make clicking sounds. Maybe a BIOS setting. Check power management settings, or change them, reset all to defaults, update BIOS, try the other pcie slot...lots of things to try.
m
l
October 3, 2010 3:18:23 PM

I have an SSD, so there are no moving parts to the drive. The clicks are coming from around the video card, but I honestly can't tell if it's the video card or the MOBO.

The drivers installed successfully when I installed them on their own w/o the Catalyst Control Center.

Everything is a-ok now, save for the difficult boot. I'll hit up Gigabyte's support and post about that.
m
l
October 10, 2010 3:20:16 AM

Gigabyte has given me a BIOS that works better. The MOBO only clicks 3 times when booting up, and the fans don't surge on and off.
m
l
October 10, 2010 11:03:29 AM

was it a specific bios? I dont have same mobo but I have similar issues effecting mine (especially the booting/power surging fans) due to graphics cards.
m
l
October 10, 2010 5:57:36 PM

Quote:
was it a specific bios?

I don't think so, but it wasn't a BIOS available on their website. For my mobo, the most recent BIOS available on their website is version FHL, which is labeled as a beta version. The one they gave me is version FHM.
m
l
October 13, 2010 1:46:45 PM

rskorski said:
Hi everyone,

I just installed a new PSU, a Corsair tx850w, and a video card, an XFX Radeon HD 5770. I'm having some difficulty booting up. I say difficulty, because it does eventually boot, but it takes a while to get there. It's like a series of small brownouts happen before the machines goes to boot and POST.

When I hit the power button, the fans start to spin, and 2 clicks come from what I think is the video card (these are not like beeps you'd get normally if there's a MOBO problem, but they don't sound mechanical). Then the fans stop spinning. This happens 5-10 times before the machine actually goes on to boot normally.

I put back in the old video card and the machine booted normally. I tried the new card again using some of the other power connectors, but she still takes a few pumps before booting up. There are 3 case fans and some LED lights, but there should be more than enough power flowing through the system.

So, anybody have any thoughts?

I have an ultra 650 watt and the machine surges 7 times before it boots up with the xfx 5770 - I'm just putting up with it and hope it does not mess up the whole computer
m
l
!