What kind of performance should I expect?

Ok so when I built my system about 18 months ago, I shelled out the extra cash to get the MSI K9A2 Platinum.
board.jpg

I chose it because at the time, the 790FX-GD70 hadn't yet been released and it was slated to cost $100CAD more. Also, at the time, DDR2 RAM was only about $10CAD per GB, DDR3 was triple that price and the AM3 CPUs that were first released didn't even come close to matching the performance of the Phenom II X4 940. The K9A2 Platinum is a 790FX motherboard with 4 full-size PCI-Express slots, two of which are x16 and two of which are x8. For all of that time, I was in university and had no job so I was "stuck" (for lack of a better word) with a single XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB (reference design).
Card%20Front.JPG

Now that newegg.ca is selling them for $133CAD minus a $30USD mail-in rebate, that puts them at around $105CAD each so I bit the bullet and bought three of them to fill all the slots in my rig. They have the newer non-reference design (which isn't as good as the reference design I think).
hd487azwfc2h.jpg

I'll trade one with my uncle whose rig I built with another reference 4870. He doesn't game like I do and I'm sure that the idea of a brand-new 4870 will appeal to him so I'll have 2 cards that spew hot air clear out of the case and two that don't. I saw that with DX9 and DX10 games, the Radeon HD 4870x2 is still a major powerhouse but I cannot find any reviews where the HD 4870 was reviewed in Quad-CrossfireX mode. I have no intention of overclocking these, after all, there are 4 of them and as good as my PSU is, I don't want to push it TOO hard.
ph31.jpg

If anyone out there has this setup or something similar on another 790FX motherboard, I'd love to hear what I'm in for. :sol:

If anyone's interested in getting one (or 2, or 3, or 4) of these at this spectacular price, just check newegg. As far as I'm concerned, a Radeon HD 4870 for $100 is by far the best price/performance vicard deal on the planet. Keep in mind that the HD 4870 still beats the HD 5770 in raw performance. The 5770 has DX11 (who cares, it's not powerful enough to handle DX11 tessellation) and EyeFinity (again, who cares?) but is a slightly slower card than ATi's famous market-changing card.

Solution
Well, some did that in 2008.......... here a quote from the site that reviewed it....
"However, there is a chance that some computer enthusiasts out there won't be satisfied with the performance level achieved by three Radeon HD 4870 graphics cards connected in a CrossFireX setup. That's probably why MSI, a leading manufacturer of graphics cards, mainboards, portable computers and more, decided to show off an HD 4870 Quad CrossFire system. As you can tell, the Quad tag stands for the number of graphics cards connected on a single motherboard. That's four of the latest AMD Radeon graphics cards put together to offer an impressive graphics quality.

The system was showcased at what can only be deemed one of the best places to demo such...
Ok, I have the GD70 with two 5750's in CF and the 965BE, well, I don't know if that helps, but what'd you like to know?
One things for sure, the 4870's in quad CF will certainly blow my config to bits.... :( esp on the GD70..... it'll kill nearly everything in it's path..... so you should really be looking at awesome gaming power and power consumption......

Well, some did that in 2008.......... here a quote from the site that reviewed it....
"However, there is a chance that some computer enthusiasts out there won't be satisfied with the performance level achieved by three Radeon HD 4870 graphics cards connected in a CrossFireX setup. That's probably why MSI, a leading manufacturer of graphics cards, mainboards, portable computers and more, decided to show off an HD 4870 Quad CrossFire system. As you can tell, the Quad tag stands for the number of graphics cards connected on a single motherboard. That's four of the latest AMD Radeon graphics cards put together to offer an impressive graphics quality.

The system was showcased at what can only be deemed one of the best places to demo such a monster of a computer, namely, during this year's Games Convention. As you might have guessed, putting four cards in a single desktop computer does not come without certain drawbacks. Despite the cards' 55nm GPU, which significantly lower working temperatures, as opposed to other 65nm graphics processors, these four put together produce a significant amount of heat. Then again, this is what you should expect from such a high-end gaming rig."

So you happen to be that enthusiast.... :) Congrats....

Solution

No, I wanted to know if there were any pitfalls to having 4 Radeon HD4870s running at once.

It's not a problem, I just don't know what positives and negatives to expect.

Yeah, I'm thinking that heat might become a problem as I know the 4870s are hotter than hell under load. I might need to get a CoolerMaster HAF case.

Thanks, yes, I'm an enthusiast but I'm also a cheap bastard and I just want to have a system that will be able to play all games for the next 6 years or so. LOL
Thanks so much for the link, I couldn't for the life of me find any reviews on it to get the info I wanted.

Thanks a million! This is exactly what I was looking for. Being a member here sure has its benefits! :sol: