Sign in with
Your question

How to find a proper Gen3 motherboard and what is the difference?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 26, 2011 7:21:34 AM

Hi,

I am about to buy a new motherboard for my computer and the CPU that will be used is a Intel I5 2500K(OC) with a Geforce GTX570.

Usually I change graphic cards at least twice on every motherboards and this means that its important that the motherboads is as future safe and reliable as possible.

This is why I have been looking on Gen3 motherboards but its a bit confusion.

Gen3 means

1. Able to run the new IVY Bridge CPU
2. Able to use the new PCI-e 3.0 (switch circuit) at higher speed
3. Is there more?

Another question is about the 6 Gbit/s SATA, will this only be used for SSD? Or will it make a diffrence even on regular harddrives?

I am lookin on the Z68 Intel Chip to enable the I5 2500K onboard GPU even If I today have no direcly use for this.

The boards I have been looking at is :

A. Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - Not a Gen3 board as far as I can see? And no EFI-bios(that is supose to make the startup faster). This board has four 6 Gbit/s SATA ports
B. MSI Z68A-GD55(G3) - Seems to have everyting, it is suporting 2 PCI-e 3.0 att full speed and it is suporting IVY Bridge, Am I right? This go only got two 6 Gbit/s SATA ports
C. ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - Not sure if this offers the same thing as the MSI above?

Gigabyte Is my favorite brand, it have never failed while all the other bords have(MSI, ASUS and Epox).

So pleas clear this up for me, which motherboard should I look closer on and why? Is there a better choise then the one I have stated?
October 26, 2011 7:49:34 AM

PciE 3.0 will be used for next generation graphics cards.
October 26, 2011 8:24:10 AM

Thanks!

I do know that PCI-e 3.0 is the next genreation Graphics cards, I do also belive that it will only work with a Ivy Bridge CPU?

I am sure that I5 2500K will be enough CPU form me. Today I have a Q6600 OC that I do not really have any problems with. I am however hoping that a I5 2500K will make the GTX 570 work better.

This means that If I can avoid it, I will not change to IVY Bridge but all depends on the Graphic card. As I said, I Often switch Graphic card twice on the same motherboard and this means that I will keep it a long time. It would be nice if It could suport the next gen graphic cards but if this is vary unsure then I could probably go with the Gigabyte card anyway (If there is no other drawback here?)
Related resources
October 28, 2011 6:42:19 AM

I'm in a similar position. I've been waiting for the Gen3 boards to become available in my country but while waiting i've read reports that there is an unexpected issue with the UEFI bios which means that even though these gen3 boards state that they support ivy bridge - there is a good chance that they won't - not without a bios update that cannot be done by an end user.

You need an Ivy Bridge CPU for PCI-E 3.0.

This means that if you eventually want a PCI-E 3.0 graphics card to run at max speed (would have to be faster than PCI-E 2.0 to make it worth while) you will have to upgrade CPU to Ivy Bridge, and there's a good chance you'll need to update MB to one that really does support Ivy Bridge.

Given this info, i think i will get an ordinary, non Gen3 MB and accept that if i want Ivy Bridge/PCI-E 3.0 then i'll have to update CPU and MB.

If a gen3 board is the same price as non-gen3 (it's 30% more for me, and isn't out yet) then you might as well get one and maybe you'll be lucky.

BTW: that asrock recommended by werner123 has some average reviews on newegg. I was leaning towards the MSI equivalent.
October 28, 2011 7:08:01 AM

theFan said:
I'm in a similar position. I've been waiting for the Gen3 boards to become available in my country but while waiting i've read reports that there is an unexpected issue with the UEFI bios which means that even though these gen3 boards state that they support ivy bridge - there is a good chance that they won't - not without a bios update that cannot be done by an end user.

You need an Ivy Bridge CPU for PCI-E 3.0.

This means that if you eventually want a PCI-E 3.0 graphics card to run at max speed (would have to be faster than PCI-E 2.0 to make it worth while) you will have to upgrade CPU to Ivy Bridge, and there's a good chance you'll need to update MB to one that really does support Ivy Bridge.

Given this info, i think i will get an ordinary, non Gen3 MB and accept that if i want Ivy Bridge/PCI-E 3.0 then i'll have to update CPU and MB.

If a gen3 board is the same price as non-gen3 (it's 30% more for me, and isn't out yet) then you might as well get one and maybe you'll be lucky.

BTW: that asrock recommended by werner123 has some average reviews on newegg. I was leaning towards the MSI equivalent.

My choise is Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P, it have the regular BIOS and it is able to run PCI-E 3.0 on one port at dubble and the second(sli/crossfire) at the today rate).
October 28, 2011 11:08:01 AM

snowjim said:
My choise is Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P, it have the regular BIOS and it is able to run PCI-E 3.0 on one port at dubble and the second(sli/crossfire) at the today rate).

Looking on the Gigabyte website page for this MB I couldn't find any reference to being "ivy bridge ready" nor reference to PCI-E 3.0. I did find at least one other forum post that suggested it does support PCI-E 3.0.

From spec on gigabyte site:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.
.3 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
2 x PCI slots

Maybe there is some confusion between PCI-E 3.0 "ready", in that you can use a PCI-E 3.0 card but it will operate at the PCI-E 2.0 rate, and PCI-E 3.0 board that will actually run at the highest speed?
October 28, 2011 11:30:20 AM

theFan said:
Looking on the Gigabyte website page for this MB I couldn't find any reference to being "ivy bridge ready" nor reference to PCI-E 3.0. I did find at least one other forum post that suggested it does support PCI-E 3.0.

From spec on gigabyte site:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.
.3 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
2 x PCI slots

Maybe there is some confusion between PCI-E 3.0 "ready", in that you can use a PCI-E 3.0 card but it will operate at the PCI-E 2.0 rate, and PCI-E 3.0 board that will actually run at the highest speed?

This is the answer I got from Gigabyte :

Quote:
There is no GIGABYTE Z68 motherboard supporting 2x PCIe x16 (x16) in that price range. You need the GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 to have this opportunity.

Ivy Bridge processors will be backwards-compatible with the Sandy Bridge platform.

I will recommend the GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 motherboard. It has support for ATI CrossFireX and NVIDIA SLI technology. It use one x16 (x16) and one x16 (x8). The SLI and CrossFireX bridge also help to maintain the bandwith, so the loss of reduce the second PCIe slot to (x8) speed is minor.
July 25, 2012 10:54:32 PM

its been a few months and to anyone who still doesnt know, ive got a i7 3770 ivy bridge. in order to run this on a asrock pro3 gen3 motherboard, i only had to put a sandy bridge cpu in to update it first. now it works like a charm
!