Hard Drive build quality question

claw999

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hey Everyone,

I am planning to buy a new hard drive and It can be either a Buffalo Drivestation axis velocity 3 tb or a Western Digital My passport 2 tb from amazon. Which will have better build quality and is less likely have some sort of problem and stop working.

I live in a tropical area, the humidity is very high, It will need to withstand being stored in a cupboard and operation in those conditions.

I would really appreciate if someone would advise me on which one has better build quality?

popatim

Titan

Are you nuts? Ventiallation is key in most thing computer related. With that said get the one one that has a built in cooling fan but plan on it dying so make sure to backup irreplacable data.

ntscot

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I have the WD passport 2TB for about 5 months now. Took it through Singapore for about three weeks and had it plugged in 24/7 for the three weeks without any issues although 3 weeks is nothing really. But, I got this purely for the portability which doesn't sound like your purpose.

The Buffalo is a desktop HDD so it's chunky, heavier and I'm guessing needs its own power supply. This one is heaps cheaper over the 2TB Passport especially if you don't need the portability but it is a 7200RPM drive. 7200 RPM drives can get quite hot and you are aware that the Buffalo is however a fan-less design which I wouldn't recommend if you are keeping inside a cupboard.

If you are keeping it in the cupboard, maybe look for a WD Green drive or a brand that powers down the disk when it's not in use. This can keep the HDD cooler. A fan may or may not help if your cupboard is completely enclosed - you need to make sure that a decent airflow can still get in and cool the cupboard.

All in all, if you really need reliability, you must still backup the data somewhere else.

claw999

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Ok I should have been more clear, I am removing the drive and keeping it in the cupboard when it is NOT in use. I will take it out of the cupboard when I am using it. Is the wd my book better than buffalo drivestation axis velocity for cooling? Should I just get the drivestation axis(5400 rpm) to avoid complications?

claw999

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Ok I have an AC on 7 hours a day and again guys, I am not using the hard drive from inside the cupboard, no need for extreme measures lol. Ok no drivestation axis velocity now, just drivestation axis. But is that better than the wd my book essential or lacie minimus
3 tb?

Also if there is a 3 tb exernal hdd with a fan, please tell me? I cannot find a fan for the drivestation.