can't install NT Server on 40 GB HDD

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Please help me I have tried so many disserent things:

I've tried using FDisk from winn98 startup disk to partition the drive into 2 x 2GB partitions, one FAT16 and the other NTFS, also by attaching the HDD to a win2000 machine and make the partitions there too.

I always get the same error during setup saying that the harddisk has more than 1024 cylinders and that none of the drives are valid, and that I haven't specified a drive to copy temp files from the ms-dos part of the set up or that the drive doesn't have 193 MB free. I also Have a smaller 10GB SCSI Hdd in there too which is partitioned into 3 too, and it can't use any!!!!

I'm stuck please help me.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Run setup from the floppies rather than CD only. When you get to the screen that allows you to fool with the partitions delete what you have there (I'm assuming you are not a tard here...don't delete something useful) then create a single partition of NO MORE THAN 4000mb. Install to this new partition. After setup completes use disk manager to make use of the rest of the drive(s).

NT can run just fine on any size drive. NT setup on the other hand has a problem with primary partitions being over 4gb. It's not actually the drive size that is the prob but the number of cylinders NT can read. It's a really frickin stupid problem.

There are workarounds available to let you have a C: drive greater than 4gig but since you're running a server rather than workstation you should just have system [-peep-] on one drive anyway. Install apps and data to the other.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>” Please help me I have tried so many disserent things:

I've tried using FDisk from winn98 startup disk to partition the drive into 2 x 2GB partitions, one FAT16 and the other NTFS, also by attaching the HDD to a win2000 machine and make the partitions there too.

I always get the same error during setup saying that the harddisk has more than 1024 cylinders and that none of the drives are valid, and that I haven't specified a drive to copy temp files from the ms-dos part of the set up or that the drive doesn't have 193 MB free. I also Have a smaller 10GB SCSI Hdd in there too which is partitioned into 3 too, and it can't use any!!!!”</font color=green>
You should probably install first the HDD controller driver during WinNT installation process when it prompts for mass storage device drivers. What is your hardware related to your harddrives (any SCSI controller(s), including integrated on motherboard), by the way ?

I don’t see any problem with your partition size, your the 2 x 2GB partitions and the smaller 10GB HDD partitioned into 3 should be OK there.