UT2K3 - Limited to 40fps but only when online

Toby

Offline, or hosting my own game, I can pull over 100fps in UT2K3
(although it sits bang on 75fps because it's tied to my refresh rate).

However, wierdly, when I join an online game, my framerate sits on 40 or
41 fps. It's like I've limited it somehow.

What have I done??! Any idea?

40fps makes my eyes bleed :)

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

I'd be happy if I could get 40 fps online.

--
Mark
--

Toby wrote:
> Offline, or hosting my own game, I can pull over 100fps in UT2K3
> (although it sits bang on 75fps because it's tied to my refresh rate).
>
> However, wierdly, when I join an online game, my framerate sits on 40 or
> 41 fps. It's like I've limited it somehow.
>
> What have I done??! Any idea?
>
> 40fps makes my eyes bleed :)

Maybe your PC can't handle all the extra work of an online game ;)

The human eye sees roughly 20 fps, so 40 or above fps is not noticable!!
Basic Anti-aliasing

Meltdown

Adam King enlightened us with:
> The human eye sees roughly 20 fps, so 40 or above fps is not
> noticable!! Basic Anti-aliasing

That's soooooooooooooooo bullshit. Above 20 fps your brain makes it a
smooth animation instead of a series of still shots. You can very much
see the difference between 20, 40 and 100 fps, though.

MeltDown

MeltDown wrote:
> Adam King enlightened us with:
>
>>The human eye sees roughly 20 fps, so 40 or above fps is not
>>noticable!! Basic Anti-aliasing
>

> That's soooooooooooooooo bullshit. Above 20 fps your brain makes it a
> smooth animation instead of a series of still shots. You can very much
> see the difference between 20, 40 and 100 fps, though.
>
> MeltDown

lol, techno snobs.

If you actually read what I said "40 or above is not noticeable"... I'd
say thats pretty true. Even if your magical "my nervous system is
faster than yours" eyes could see 100Hz, who gives a toss? does it
improve your game playing? Will it actually make sod all difference
that your graphics card is pumping out useless information 25% of the
time (75Hz monitor - 100fps graphics card durrr).
The limitation in all this is the human being and the processing power
would be better spent in better anti-aliasing and filtering techniques
for a sweeter image.

P.S. If graphics cards included a simple motion blur, I guarantee you
would not see the difference between 30fps and 100fps!

Andrew

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:15:46 GMT, Adam King <nospam@thankyou.com>
wrote:

>P.S. If graphics cards included a simple motion blur, I guarantee you
>would not see the difference between 30fps and 100fps!

Oh FFS, go and do some basic research rather than make yourself look
an even bigger fool than you already have.

Andrew's well crafted reply:
> Oh FFS, go and do some basic research rather than make yourself look
> an even bigger fool than you already have.

Tell me what is the breadth of your vast knowledge in this area?

It's good to see that you are capable of structuring a basic argument
about this topic... Yes, that's reassured me that you know it all.
Thanks.

The average monitor runs at between 60 - 70Hz, some go as high as 85Hz.
If your graphics card is pumping out 100 fps, where are all the frames
going?? Not onto the screen! Whats the point?

Adam King wrote:

> The average monitor runs at between 60 - 70Hz, some go as high as 85Hz.
> If your graphics card is pumping out 100 fps, where are all the frames
> going?? Not onto the screen! Whats the point?

If anyone is still using 60hz on their CRT monitor, that has to be
painful on the eyes. The visible flickering of 60hz alone is annoying
and causes eye strain and potentially headaches for some.

Toby

On 2005-04-10, Adam King <nospam@thankyou.com> wrote:

> The average monitor runs at between 60 - 70Hz, some go as high as 85Hz.
> If your graphics card is pumping out 100 fps, where are all the frames
> going?? Not onto the screen! Whats the point?

Headroom, making sure that the framerate never dips and is utterly
constant.

You're making a fool of yourself, sorry :)

Does anyone know the answer to my original question? It's a weird fault.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.

mark

Toby wrote:
> On 2005-04-10, Adam King <nospam@thankyou.com> wrote:
>
>>The average monitor runs at between 60 - 70Hz, some go as high as 85Hz.
>> If your graphics card is pumping out 100 fps, where are all the frames
>>going?? Not onto the screen! Whats the point?
>

> Headroom, making sure that the framerate never dips and is utterly
> constant.
>
> You're making a fool of yourself, sorry :)
>
> Does anyone know the answer to my original question? It's a weird fault.

Sorry I cant answer the original question but I may be able to settle
the argument above. Read the article on the link below. It explains
things very well.
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Mark

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

toby, ur netspeed is too low.(i hope)
i think it is set on 56k. go to ur settings, game and there check network
speed and bump it up to cable/adsl. If u dont have like a really good
connection, it is no use to bump it up to lan/t1 as it will increase the
data connection to server and if ur connection can not handle it, you will
exprience high pings and packet loss.
the max u can get online is like 85, or lower, depends on ur max monitor
refresh. me, for example, i always get 75 fps on any map at 1280x1024 cause
my monitor does not support more than 75hz at that resolution.
the engine has this limitation, like a vsync alwasy enabled.
what cpu and videocard u got there?

lemme know how this help you.

[DøM]Loner
www.domclan.com

"Toby" <google@asktoby.com> wrote in message
> Offline, or hosting my own game, I can pull over 100fps in UT2K3
> (although it sits bang on 75fps because it's tied to my refresh rate).
>
> However, wierdly, when I join an online game, my framerate sits on 40 or
> 41 fps. It's like I've limited it somehow.
>
> What have I done??! Any idea?
>
> 40fps makes my eyes bleed :)
>
> --
> Toby.
> Add the word afiduluminag to the subject
> field to circumvent my email filters.
> Ignore any mail delivery error.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

LOL@ adam.
this means u r not a real gamer.

"Adam King" <nospam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> MeltDown wrote:
>> Adam King enlightened us with:
>>
>>>The human eye sees roughly 20 fps, so 40 or above fps is not
>>>noticable!! Basic Anti-aliasing
>>

>> That's soooooooooooooooo bullshit. Above 20 fps your brain makes it a
>> smooth animation instead of a series of still shots. You can very much
>> see the difference between 20, 40 and 100 fps, though.
>>
>> MeltDown
>
> lol, techno snobs.
>
> If you actually read what I said "40 or above is not noticeable"... I'd
> say thats pretty true. Even if your magical "my nervous system is faster
> than yours" eyes could see 100Hz, who gives a toss? does it improve your
> game playing? Will it actually make sod all difference that your graphics
> card is pumping out useless information 25% of the time (75Hz monitor -
> 100fps graphics card durrr).
> The limitation in all this is the human being and the processing power
> would be better spent in better anti-aliasing and filtering techniques for
> a sweeter image.
>
> P.S. If graphics cards included a simple motion blur, I guarantee you
> would not see the difference between 30fps and 100fps!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

theu go on the screen allright
but u need vsync disabled, otherwise the card will be limited to what the
monitor can refresh.
in some games/cases, more fps from the card could cause image tearing. in
some cases, no.
i was able to play ut99 at 350 fps.
and yes, there is such a big diff between 30 and 100.
there are so many ut/ut2k3/ut2004 sites out there, come on, do a bit of
reading.

[DøM]Loner
www.domclan.com

> The average monitor runs at between 60 - 70Hz, some go as high as 85Hz. If
> your graphics card is pumping out 100 fps, where are all the frames
> going?? Not onto the screen! Whats the point?

Adam King <nospam@thankyou.com> wrote in

> MeltDown wrote:
>> Adam King enlightened us with:
>>
>>>The human eye sees roughly 20 fps, so 40 or above fps is not
>>>noticable!! Basic Anti-aliasing
>>

>> That's soooooooooooooooo bullshit. Above 20 fps your brain makes it a
>> smooth animation instead of a series of still shots. You can very
>> much see the difference between 20, 40 and 100 fps, though.
>>
>> MeltDown
>
> lol, techno snobs.
>
> If you actually read what I said "40 or above is not noticeable"...
> I'd say thats pretty true. Even if your magical "my nervous system is
> faster than yours" eyes could see 100Hz, who gives a toss? does it
> improve your game playing? Will it actually make sod all difference
> that your graphics card is pumping out useless information 25% of the
> time (75Hz monitor - 100fps graphics card durrr).
> The limitation in all this is the human being and the processing power
> would be better spent in better anti-aliasing and filtering techniques
> for a sweeter image.

Just ignore them. They're just mad because they've wasted so much money
on expensive graphics cards that'll give them 100 fps when there wasn't
any need.

We're all happy watching films recorded at 24fps, aren't we?

--
Anthony Haines

Well you guys have your opinion, but I see the whole mega fps thing as a
great way to ship £380 graphics cards.
I also think that this article mentioned by mark backs me up pretty well...

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

ESPECIALLY what i said about simple motion blurring on graphics cards...
So Mr. Interpleb can fk himself...

Andrew wrote:
>>P.S. If graphics cards included a simple motion blur, I guarantee you
>>would not see the difference between 30fps and 100fps!

>Oh FFS, go and do some basic research rather than make yourself look
>an even bigger fool than you already have.

Can be arsed to discuss this anymore so just exact your revenge fragging
my arse online with my massive 30fps handicap :)

Toby

On 2005-04-10, <user> <> wrote:
> toby, ur netspeed is too low.(i hope)
> i think it is set on 56k. go to ur settings, game and there check network
> speed and bump it up to cable/adsl. If u dont have like a really good
> connection, it is no use to bump it up to lan/t1 as it will increase the
> data connection to server and if ur connection can not handle it, you will
> exprience high pings and packet loss.
> the max u can get online is like 85, or lower, depends on ur max monitor
> refresh. me, for example, i always get 75 fps on any map at 1280x1024 cause
> my monitor does not support more than 75hz at that resolution.
> the engine has this limitation, like a vsync alwasy enabled.
> what cpu and videocard u got there?
>
> lemme know how this help you.

That's great information, thanks! I had set the netspeed when I
installed it but I must have forgotten to apply it, because it was on
56K! Now I get a rock-steady 85fps ingame, even online. (Athlon XP2800
and Radeon 9800).

My monitor supports 180Hz at 1280x1024, so I tried adjusting

DesiredRefreshRate=180

and

OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=True

in UT2003.ini but the game still maxes out at a steady 85Hz.
Any idea why it's sitting on 85Hz?

--

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:11:32 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>in UT2003.ini but the game still maxes out at a steady 85Hz.
>Any idea why it's sitting on 85Hz?

Because that *is* the maximum for online games. Same is true for
UT2004. Not sure why, but at least it's normal and not because you
have a setting off. Everyone tops out at 85 online.

Andrew

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:43:23 GMT, Anthony Haines
<anthonyhaines@hotmail.com> wrote:

>We're all happy watching films recorded at 24fps, aren't we?

No, my eyes often hurt when there are panning shots in films,
especially when watching a film at a cinema.

Meltdown

Anthony Haines enlightened us with:
> Just ignore them. They're just mad because they've wasted so much
> money on expensive graphics cards that'll give them 100 fps when
> there wasn't any need.

LOL I've spent my money on studying. I _know_ you guys are wrong.

> We're all happy watching films recorded at 24fps, aren't we?

I'm also happily driving my car at 100 Km/h. Doesn't mean I can't see
the difference between 100 Km/h and 150 Km/h.

MeltDown
--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

good point.
i like 1 beer, but how about a six pack?

> Anthony Haines enlightened us with:
>> Just ignore them. They're just mad because they've wasted so much
>> money on expensive graphics cards that'll give them 100 fps when
>> there wasn't any need.

yes, i am so mad now, i will grab another beer.
i think you dont need a P4 or amd xp either.
386 works good, right?
dont go out there and buy a P4, you will be so mad!!!
dont tell me, windows 98. i knew it!!!!

Andrew wrote:
> No, my eyes often hurt when there are panning shots in films,
> especially when watching a film at a cinema.

HAHAHAHAH.... thats the biggest load of wank I've ever heard!

"ARGHHH!!! My eyes! Not another panning shot... I'm Blind!"

Andrew

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:31:03 GMT, Adam King <nospam@thankyou.com>
wrote:

>HAHAHAHAH.... thats the biggest load of wank I've ever heard!

I genuinely wish my brain were as slow as yours is, it would save me a
fortune in hardware upgrades if 20fps was my limit.