Dell Inspiron 8000 - What happened to my screen?!?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 2, 2005 3:35:26 PM

I'm trying to fix a resolution issue with my laptop. I've fixed it
once just by putzing around, but I'd like to know the cause so I can
prevent it in the future.

I run the screen resolution at 1024 x 768 and have since I got the
thing, new, three years ago. It now serves as our home computer, where
we do the house bookkeeping and my 4 year old visits NickJr to play
games. Two weeks ago, and again today, my wife calls describing the
following symptom: the image is still 1024 x 768, but it doesn't fill
the laptop screen. To actually fill the screen, you have to switch to
the maximum resolution; switching to 640 x 480 makes it comically
small, about the size of a large postage stamp.

Hitting fn-LCD/CRT doesn't help, and the laptop hasn't been on a CRT
for two years in any case.

So, what's causing this, and how can I fix it/prevent it from happening
again?

Thanks!

- Wm in Kansas City
February 2, 2005 7:10:10 PM

a couple of things come to mind, it could be a driver issue or some how the
refresh is set incorrectly.
"William" <william@seritas.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to fix a resolution issue with my laptop. I've fixed it
> once just by putzing around, but I'd like to know the cause so I can
> prevent it in the future.
>
> I run the screen resolution at 1024 x 768 and have since I got the
> thing, new, three years ago. It now serves as our home computer, where
> we do the house bookkeeping and my 4 year old visits NickJr to play
> games. Two weeks ago, and again today, my wife calls describing the
> following symptom: the image is still 1024 x 768, but it doesn't fill
> the laptop screen. To actually fill the screen, you have to switch to
> the maximum resolution; switching to 640 x 480 makes it comically
> small, about the size of a large postage stamp.
>
> Hitting fn-LCD/CRT doesn't help, and the laptop hasn't been on a CRT
> for two years in any case.
>
> So, what's causing this, and how can I fix it/prevent it from happening
> again?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Wm in Kansas City

February 3, 2005 1:00:17 AM

You need to try different refresh rate. You will find that at certain
refresh rates the image will be two large/small, bowed or even offset.
"William" <william@seritas.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to fix a resolution issue with my laptop. I've fixed it
> once just by putzing around, but I'd like to know the cause so I can
> prevent it in the future.
>
> I run the screen resolution at 1024 x 768 and have since I got the
> thing, new, three years ago. It now serves as our home computer, where
> we do the house bookkeeping and my 4 year old visits NickJr to play
> games. Two weeks ago, and again today, my wife calls describing the
> following symptom: the image is still 1024 x 768, but it doesn't fill
> the laptop screen. To actually fill the screen, you have to switch to
> the maximum resolution; switching to 640 x 480 makes it comically
> small, about the size of a large postage stamp.
>
> Hitting fn-LCD/CRT doesn't help, and the laptop hasn't been on a CRT
> for two years in any case.
>
> So, what's causing this, and how can I fix it/prevent it from happening
> again?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Wm in Kansas City

a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 1:08:48 AM

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
February 4, 2005 9:27:13 AM

Hello C. Joseph,

Finally dug deep enough into the advanced settings tab that I was able
to find the "stretch" setting. I never knew such a thing was an issue
until it happened and I had to start researching it. I wish I knew
what was causing it...possibly one of the games my 4 year old plays at
the kids' sites. Wouldn't think a browser based game would be able to
access the properties on the client machine, though. Odd.

Thanks to all who replied!

- Wm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 11, 2005 5:05:53 PM

William wrote:
> Hello C. Joseph,
>
> Finally dug deep enough into the advanced settings tab that I was able
> to find the "stretch" setting. I never knew such a thing was an issue
> until it happened and I had to start researching it. I wish I knew
> what was causing it...possibly one of the games my 4 year old plays at
> the kids' sites. Wouldn't think a browser based game would be able to
> access the properties on the client machine, though. Odd.
>
> Thanks to all who replied!
>
> - Wm

Normally this "feature" can be switched on and off by pressing Fn key + F7
key, marked "Font" (on an i8000).
!