• Configuration
  • Routers
  • WiFi
  • Windows Vista
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 23, 2010 2:18:58 AM

Hello,

Just got my network up and running but got a few questions.

Hardware:

Belkin Surf router N300
USB Surf and Share N300 adapter for my desktop (win 7/64)
WiFi on Gateway laptop (vista/32) - WiFi is Realtek 802.11g 54Mbps

Windows 7 shows 144.4 Mbps speed
Vista shows 54Mbps speed

I understand the Vista speed report of 54Mbps but why is the desktop speed showing 144.5Mbps instead of 300Mbps?

I have not uninstalled the Realtek adapter on the desktop yet (wanted to make sure everything went ok first). Will hold off on that pending recommendations.

My internet bandwith is ~4Mbps. Do I even need to worry with the 300Mbps? Everything seems just as fast as the wired network.

If i get another USB Surf and Share N300 adapter for the laptop, will that get the 300Mbps?

Oh yea, I did try setting the router to 802.11n only and that did not change the speed report in Windows 7. However, it did cause the laptop not to connect to the router. Windows 7 shows a mixed mode, don't see a 802.11n only like the router does.

Thanks

More about : 802 11n

Anonymous
August 23, 2010 6:47:54 AM

Before looking at problems with the laptop (or is it the desktop -- or am I confused ?) you should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
m
l
August 23, 2010 4:17:53 PM

I thought this was interesting!
"When I connect my Draft-N wireless clients to the N1 Vision router or Modem-Router, they will show a link speed of 54 Mbps only unless I disable wireless security. Why?

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the Atheros wireless chipset in the N1 Vision unit. The chipset will support link speeds of up to 300 Mbps but only when WPA2 security is used or when no security at all is used.

The best solution is therefore to use WPA2 Security."

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id...

m
l
August 25, 2010 1:25:03 AM

Thanks for the info.

I raised the router height and that did the trick. Windows 7/64 desktop computer now shows 300Mbps speed.

Thanks again
m
l
!