UPDATE: doesn't work! Help! 3x2GB to a 6x1 GB tri-channel Xeon 5506?

thi_sanna

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Precision T7500 workstation with a Xeon e5506 Dual Quad core, and 12 DIMM slots (6 main board + 6 on riser card), made by Hynix. It currently has 6 X 1GB 1333 ECC Registered RAM modules, 3 on the main board and 3 on the riser, on triple channel configuration.

My questions are:

1) Could I add 3 x 2GB compatible RAM modules, for a total of 12GB RAM, while still keeping the triple channel configuration?

2) If yes to above, what would be the ideal DIMM order for installing the RAM modules?

3) If no to above, would 3 x 1GB or 6 x 1GB (filling all slots) work?

Thank you,

Thiago

Most likely you can. Pull one of the ram modules and write down the model number. Dell uses hynix sticks alot, made by samsung. Can't tell you about dimm order, but you should be able to install in the slots in each cluster of three. Here http://www.edgetechcorp.com/how-to-install-memory.asp?cid=35654 is a short installation guide. You may even want to sell off the old sticks and start over. If you get a decent price, then go for 3 sticks of one of the 4 gb samsung modules: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007952%2050001077&IsNodeId=1&name=SAMSUNG. If your system runs well, then add three more right away. Match the voltage spec; use ecc non registered if that's what you have now; otherwise, use registered.

thi_sanna

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Thanks o1die. Unfortunately I'm in Brazil, and we pay a ridiculous amount of duties if we buy overseas (about 60%). I checked the Kingston product specific memory for the t7500, and it's available here. Everything seems to match, but I'll double check the voltage.

Worst case scenario, I'll sell the 1GB modules and get a second, matching set of 2GB ones.

Cheers!

thi_sanna

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Ok, so I finally got the memory (surprise, surprise, Kingston BRAZIL ordering is just a third-party service that orders them from the US).

And...it doesn't work. I tried putting the 2GB ones at Riser 1,2,3, and the 1GB ones at MB1,2,3 and Riser 4,5,6, no dice.

Even just replacing three of the 1GB by three of the 2GB (on Riser 1,2,3) doesn't work. I always get the beep code for RAM failure

Removing all 1GB dims and leaving only the 2GB ones works, the machine boots and works normally.

I'm pretty sure they should be compatible. The actual chips on the Kingston RAM are made by Hynix, as well the original RAM, and the part codes are exactly the same, except for the "die generation code" (one is B, the other is T).

What now?