serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
My home was struck by lightning via the cable lines which fried an older TV and damaged 2 PC's. My main machine still worked but it was giving me random freezes during gaming or after I started using my machine for 20 - 30 minutes. The odd thing is it doesn't hard freeze the machine, it pauses everything for 5 - 10 seconds then keeps working for 5 seconds, then pauses for 10 - 20 seconds, then works for another 5 seconds, then it pauses for 1 - 3 minutes, then it starts working again for a while. The ethernet port on the motherboard was fried along with a DVI port on the video card. After replacing both of those I went to install windows and the PC froze before allowing me install windows, but I restarted using the restart button and everything installed fine. Then once I started playing games again, the problem persisted. Random freezing.

I've ran Memtest for 26 hours 0 errors, I've ran Prime95 small FTT's for 13 hours, 0 errors 0 warnings on all 4 cores. I'm thinking power supply is the next logical thing to replace but I'm just wondering if anyone has experience something similar in the past or just get everyone's thoughts.

Specs: I5 - 750, P55A-UD3 mobo (replaced with new one already), GTX 460 (replace with me one already), PC Power & Cooling 750 watt, raptor 150 gig HD + 640 WD storage drive, G.Skill ripjaw 2X2gb memory

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Fr0stbyt3

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Something similar happened to my system when lightning hit my phone line. I had to replace the mobo, but that's it.

My graphics card is fine, as well as the ram, cpu, and hard drive, but the power supply only has a minor problem in that sometimes i need to shut it off and turn it back on in order to boot up the system.

I would suggest replacing the power supply, report back here if the problem continues after you replace the power supply.

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I replaced the mobo, cpu and PSU and still the same error. I also swapped the memory with some spare I had that I know works 100% in another pc and still same error. The only thing I can think is Hard drive. I'd think maybe CPU but I ran Prime95 for a while with 0 errors and 0 warnings. I'm going to run a thorough scan disk tonight to check for bad sectors or clusters.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!