Win7 IDE/AHCI screw-up

drivescrewup

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hi,

Bought a new rig a month or so back. Decided to acquire a second SSD, and as the newer one was better, I gave it a fresh w7 install and made it my new boot drive. When I first booted it up (the second SSD is out of the picture for now), I got a bluescreen. Without really knowing exactly what I was doing, I tried switching from AHCI to IDE in BIOS, and it worked. No bluescreen. Since then I've installed my old SSD as well, and everything was fine.

Until just now, when I was reading up on this and learnt that, performance-wise, I really should try to make AHCI work. I downloaded the MicrosoftFixIt50470 and ran the MSI. Restarted. Switched to AHCI, and now it insists on booting from my old SSD. So I'm pretty sure I'd get a bluescreen if I disconnected it. However, when I switch back to IDE, it still doesn't work! In AHCI, it doesn't even seem to recognize the drive as a boot drive in BIOS. In IDE it does, but it still refuses to boot from it.

So what do I do now? How can I fix this with as little hassle as possible? I have too much important stuff going on right now, I really didn't need this. No idea why I took the chance.

TL;DR: Had to boot with IDE instead of AHCI. Ran driver fix. Now none works.

Any input is truly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
My first guess on this is that you should remove the other SSD from the system, return to AHCI mode, and try to boot. I would expect it to get into Win7. If not, this is where to try a repair install.

It looks to me as if you have two things going on, with the second being the boot order being picked up in this BIOS. Having only one drive attached will make that problem go away. If it works, re-assemble, with the new SSD on port 1 of the chipset-controlled SATA ports.

Best of luck

drivescrewup

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Just referring to the MicrosoftFixIt50470. Some automatic registry fix that reportedly fixes the AHCI drivers and allows you to run AHCI. Instead it rendered me unable to run both IDE and AHCI, so now I can't seem to boot with the drive at all.

My first guess on this is that you should remove the other SSD from the system, return to AHCI mode, and try to boot. I would expect it to get into Win7. If not, this is where to try a repair install.

It looks to me as if you have two things going on, with the second being the boot order being picked up in this BIOS. Having only one drive attached will make that problem go away. If it works, re-assemble, with the new SSD on port 1 of the chipset-controlled SATA ports.

Best of luck

Solution