Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Finding an appropriately-sized heatsink

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2010 10:51:53 AM

I have an XPS 430 tower. Some sites have been referring them to mini-towers, but I guess that might be another term for medium-sized tower? Anyways, I purchased a HD 5850 1mb ram card for it. When I opened the package, I realized that it was a very long and thick card. However, I had plenty of room to stick this in.

More recently, I realized that the full potential of the card was held back due to my processor. I have this older quadcore 2.5ghz processor, thus the card won't do anything spectacular for me. I get 30-40 fps at best in World of Warcraft which is low even with maxed settings. Anyways, I decided to purchase an I7 950 because it seems to be a great processor for gaming. I'm not sure if the I5 750 performs just as well for gaming, but I decided to go with the other.

For a mini-tower (AKA Medium-sized tower), what size heatsink will it allow? I've noticed that there are i7-supported heatsinks generally 120mm in size, but there is 92mm heatsink from newegg.com.

Note: The DELL XPS series seems to come with a shroud of some sort. I'm not sure if that's true or changes anything, but I'd like to know how that will affect my installing a heatsink as well.
a c 1410 U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 12:13:42 PM

Well first of the I7 950 needs a new LGA1366 motherboard. It will not fit in a LGA775 board. I5 750 would have been enough for gaming but it needs a LGA 1156 motherboard. Both platforms will need DDR3 ram.
If this has been taken into account then we can worry about the cooler.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 12:31:17 PM

:)  Please post a CPUZ pic of the specifics of your rig since the variation in the XPS430 series has a few other options too.
So basically if you were to put an icore x into your rig we wouldn't know whether they're compatible or not :(  and I hope that's an ATI HD58501GB Card and not 1MB or you've been had real bad.
Score
Related resources
October 3, 2010 4:02:34 PM

I'm deciding to purchase an antec 300 case with the new asus sabertooth motherboard and i7 950. I already have an 850w psu, but do i need to purchase a heatsink?
Score
October 3, 2010 4:04:23 PM

it's 1gb LOL
Score
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 4:16:08 PM

most DELL, Acer, HP computers are mini-towers, not to be confused with slim line cases. the XPS was a big-mini tower (think jumbo shrimp). the shroud issue prevented installation of most back plates on the mobo of the XPS 420/430 as I recall. A new mobo upgrade would have fixed that issue.

the antec 300 is a mid tower case and can fit most after market HSF. The intel cooler does get loud so an upgrade may be nice for your ears. I have the CM 212+ running in my antec 300, it works great and is cheap.

review
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/cooler_master_...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

edit: you don't need to post the same question on the CPU and GPU forum.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 4:25:43 PM

OK, since you already have a list of the new things, the answer is no, you'll not need a new heatsink for your GPU, I guess, that was your question right? and for the CPU the Hyper 212 with a push pull config should do fine. As stated by ct1615 & rolli59, thats a decent cooler and will fit into your case.
Score
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 5:26:48 PM

alyoshka said:
OK, since you already have a list of the new things, the answer is no, you'll not need a new heatsink for your GPU, I guess, that was your question right? and for the CPU the Hyper 212 with a push pull config should do fine. As stated by ct1615 & rolli59, thats a decent cooler and will fit into your case.

the CM 212+ in push/pull does not effectively work better then one fan in push. having personally tested it as well as maximumpc in a recent article. they found it only decreased temps by 1c. I saw similar results. There are better two fans HSF out there then the CM 212+, does not make it a bad HSF though. for the price, it can't be beat.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 5:38:33 PM

Agreed ct1615 :) 
Score
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 5:43:15 PM

Also use the CM 212+ as I need a very quiet system and the stock Intel cooler could get noisy under load, in my Antec 200 it runs passively and has no problems with a stock clocked i5 750.
Of course when overclocked things are a little different, but even with a single fan it can handle 3.2GHz overclocks @50% fanspeed.
Score
October 4, 2010 3:31:15 AM

alyoshka said:

What exactly is a GPU? Is that the motherboard? Are you saying that it comes with a heatsink, but the processor doesn't? I thought that the processor is packaged with one as well? And if I don't plan on overclocking, would I need to purchase any new fans/heatsinks for my motherboard or cpu? I just need this cleared up. I'm a bit confused.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Correction: I just realized that a motherboard requires a heatsink, whereas the processor requires a cooler. If this is correct, then the motherboard and processor has their own respective heatsink and cooler? If that's true, would I actually need to purchase anything else if I don't plan on overclocking? I hope that the case helps a bit too.
Score
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 3:48:17 AM

GPU = graphics processing unit, when most people say GPU they are talking about the video card although it can also be the integrated chip on the mobo

your CPU comes with a heatsink and fan. it will work but the intel ones tend to get loud. you do not need to purchase an aftermarket heatsink & fan (HSF) aka cooler.

Score
October 4, 2010 4:03:56 AM

Doesn't the HD 5850 have a built-in fan in the actual card? Will Asus sabretooth motherboard have a fan/heatsink with it? Also, the case that I'm getting has 2 fans inside of it. I'm not sure if I can use the fans from the Dell case. I think that I can.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 4:20:29 AM

The HD5850 Does have the heatsink and fan on it, but your question stated
"When I opened the package, I realized that it was a very long and thick card. However, I had plenty of room to stick this in. "
That sounded like a doubt and people do customize their cards so there are quite a few GPU coolers which are made and sold separately for GPU, hence the answer, you will not require a GPU after market cooler or heat sink.
Oh Yes the Sabertooth does have heatsinks on it, NB,SB , Power Capacitors, I think most of them are all covered with the heatsinks. But you're not going to have fans on those heatsinks, they're just there for dispensing the heat and use the cases airflow to stay cool.
October 4, 2010 5:08:24 AM

Best answer selected by soknar.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 5:18:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!