How to reformat old hdd on pc with win 8?

rambell

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I got my old hdd with vista in it into my new pc which is running Win8. No idea how things work on win8 yet but I like to reformat my old hdd. Its from a HP desktop and divided into 2 partitions, 1 recovery and 1 normal. I like to reformat the two into 1 big partition.

Could someone please walk me through the exact steps? Bearing in mind, I am totally new to win8...and reformatting partitions to boot. Thanks.

rambell

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Found it. So just the usual right click and format will do? No need to go an extra step to somehow remove the vista os? How do I join them together into 1 partition? I am new at this.

Right now other than my new 2tb hdd, the 2 partitions that I wanna format and make into 1 partition of 640gb is labelled:

Factory Image (G) NTFS Healthy (Primary, Partition)
HP (E) NTFS Healthy (Active Primary Partition)

and just for info, the new hdd spilt into 1tb parts:

Acer (C) NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
Data (D) NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)

Dharamvir

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Point to bottom left corner of screen and Goto Disk Management.Delete one of the two partitions you want to merge into single one. then right click the other partition and click on extend partition. A new window pops up. select the available space and hit OK. Now you have a single large partition.

The best way to format a HDD with OS in it is to format it with a bootable media(DVD/USB). Use the media and format the partitions and create a new partition.

Unplug the WIN 8 drive prior partitioning.

TRENDING THREADS