USB got virus?

puriteer

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hello,
I did not have any problem to use my USB until yesterday and left the USB plugged in my laptop, but today my laptop doesn't show the USB. I have tried other USBs to check if it is my computer problem, but they are shown at the same laptop. And I tried another laptop to see the USB, but it did not show it either. So I think it is a problem with the USB. What should I do?

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
It is possible to get a virus on a USB drive. However, typically those viruses main purpose is to remain dormant and camouflaged while on the USB drive, so that the USB drive can be plugged into as many different PC's as possible to infect them all.

In your situation, your drive probably died. Unplug it and try another PC or plug it into another port on that PC to ensure that the port it was plugged into didn't die. If you get a message saying something like: "You need to format this drive to use it first", when you plug it in, then either the file system is corrupt and you probably lost all the info on it, or the drive died and you definitely lost everything on it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Agreed, though it looks like he already tried it in other computers. Really hard to tell due to the broken English, though.

We really need a sub-forum for "Help, I kept my only copy of critical data on a flimsy USB drive and now it's dead!"

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012

Are you sure, I thought he said that he tried other USB drives on the same computer... Idk. Lots of broken English in these threads now a days. Not sure if it's sucky translation or poor English skills.