Which computer spec?

norton

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
I am thinking of building a new system, mainly for gaming, And was interested in the post by jizaulich.
I am in the UK, and want to spend about £600 which is about the same as jizaulich`s $980.

I want to buy a motherboard bundle from Novatech.co.uk then put the rest together myself.

There are 2 AMD motherboard bundles available

1 - AMD Quad core, Pnenom X4 965 processor with AMG 880G m/board. £245

2 - AMD Phenom X6 1055T with AMG 890GX m/board. £320

(both bundles have 4Gb RAM.)

I have never built a PC before, that`s why I want the ready assembled and tested m/board bundle.

Other parts would include an HD6850 graphics card and a 500Mb or 1Tb hard drive.

I hope I could use the PSU from my old computer, which is a Corsair 550W and only about 18 months old, (although my old PC is 6 years old). I also have a brand new DVD Rewriter, and I could probably re-use my old case as well.

I would also need a Windows 7 home premium O/S.

The only downside is that I only have those two AMD bundles to choose from, so which would be most suitable?

With the quad core bundle, you can handle any gaming environment. Even with the latest games, they don't make full use of the quad core CPU. Games rely heavily on GPU and RAM. So if you want to save a little bit of money, go with the X4.

On the other hand, the X6 is the latest and greatest of the AMD line. Building with the X6 will keep your computer able to handle more multitasking, but again, not a lot of apps out there utilizing the potential of a six core CPU, but when that time comes, you'll be prepared.

norton

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Thanks T_T

I presume that my 550w PSU is powerfull enough for an HD6850 ?