RAM on Dell Latitude D800 laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2005 5:45:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Hi All:

I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop, and I am interested in increasing
its current RAM amount from 512 MB to 1 GB. The only problem is that
both WinXP and the system BIOS are only telling me that the system has
512 MB, but nothing about how much RAM is in each RAM bay. So I don't
know what to buy.

1) Does this laptop have 1 or 2 RAM bays?
2) If it does have 2 RAM bays, how can I find out if the current 512 is
composed of 1 512 RAM stick or 2 256 MB RAM sticks?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2005 10:53:16 PM

"No Such Luck" <no_suchluck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop, and I am interested in increasing
> its current RAM amount from 512 MB to 1 GB. The only problem is that
> both WinXP and the system BIOS are only telling me that the system has
> 512 MB, but nothing about how much RAM is in each RAM bay. So I don't
> know what to buy.
>
> 1) Does this laptop have 1 or 2 RAM bays?
> 2) If it does have 2 RAM bays, how can I find out if the current 512 is
> composed of 1 512 RAM stick or 2 256 MB RAM sticks?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Your Service Manual is here;
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd800/s...

Like the other guy said look and see what's in there. It's a single screw.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 2:34:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

At risk of sounding cheeky... pull the panel covering the RAM and assess your computer's configuration directly. Presumably, you're going to have to do this to actually install any RAM upgrade that you buy!

Hi All:

I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop, and I am interested in increasing
its current RAM amount from 512 MB to 1 GB. The only problem is that
both WinXP and the system BIOS are only telling me that the system has
512 MB, but nothing about how much RAM is in each RAM bay. So I don't
know what to buy.

1) Does this laptop have 1 or 2 RAM bays?
2) If it does have 2 RAM bays, how can I find out if the current 512 is
composed of 1 512 RAM stick or 2 256 MB RAM sticks?

Thanks in advance.

[comp.sys.laptops]
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 4:29:01 AM

Look it up at www.crucial.com

System Information for the
Dell Latitude D800
a.. System Type: Laptop/Notebook
b.. Maximum memory: 2048MB
c.. Standard memory: 128, 256, or 512MB removable
d.. Slots/banks: 2 (2 banks of 1)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 7:42:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

The BIOS might give you the information e.g. 512 MB in slot 1 and 0 MB in slot 2. Not sure which key will get into the BIOS on your PC, try F2.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.