ZEPHYR ZEPHY580MX 580W

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hello,
Has anyone heard of this PS shutting down after a couple hours?
I thought it was the MB but I'm not sure.

Hec power supplies are not as well known of a power supply as some other brands, but they are generally OK units nothing special. It is not uncommon to get a bad power supply from time to time and being that its not one of the power supplies we generally would recommend I would say RMA it if you can and get a different brand like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic to name a few.

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Had the
ASUS P7Q57-M DO/CSM LGA 1156 Intel Q57 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
and switched to
EVGA 123-CD-E635-KR LGA 1156 Intel H55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i3-560 Clarkdale 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL
X2

hec ZEPHYR ZEPHY580MX 580W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V V2.3 / SSI EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Active PFC

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Have been monitoring the CPU and MB for temps all seem fine.
Always happens after about two hours of being on.
Can not recreate or duplicate the outage.
Would like to be able to test PSU unhooked from system.
Any alternative suggestion for a PSU for around 50 bucks?
Then I can test it. I don't have a spare with SATA conn.s

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Sorry Duh!!!
Yes I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Once again, nothing to suck up very much power.
Running Win 7 Ult 64 bit

Thing is if it is the psu which is what it looks like do you then want to be stuck with another cheap unit.

I would consider spending a little bit more on a quality unit, worse case it isn't the psu but at least you then have a decent unit that will cover an upgrade and do you for a few years, and a spare.

Otherwise if you just want cheapest to try I've listed a $50 OCZ Fatal1ty that is actually a good unit on offer.

But for $70 you could pick up the Corsair with loads of power and 5yr warranty.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014022&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=58%7C17%2D341%2D022%5E17%2D341%2D022%2D14%23%2C17%2D139%2D005%5E17%2D139%2D005%2DTS

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Will run tonight after work.
Thanks

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
OK this is really frustrating. Mt new MB came in (EVGA H55) and I thought this would solve my problems.
After installation it won't even boot. Fans spin for a tenth of a second and nothing. It even retries this over and over and nothing. I'm at a loss. I don't have enough new computer parts around to switch out, for diagnosing what the culprit is.
Is there a way to test the PSU?
I would like to know for sure that it is bad before I RMA it back to NewEgg.

Try resetting the RAM and make sure all connections are tight also try just using one stick of RAM at a time.

You can check if it will power on by shorting out the green and a black wire in the 24 pin ATX connector with a paper clip this is very low voltage and will not shock you. This will only show that it powers on not if it can handle a load.

I had that problem before after a new build and it ended up being my RAM you can also try switching to different RAM slots if you have more then 2.

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Well I got the same results playing around with the RAM in different slots. The paper clip test shows the PSU seems to want to run that is without a load.
I've got a degree in electronics and can't figure this out. I think I've got bad luck on more than one thing purchased in a group of things. Tempted to take it in and have it diagnosed by someone with more toys than I. That's unless we have any more ideas.
I do appreciate the help.

Bios reset? Did we try that?

Also disconnect everything and bench test it outside the case. Connect only CPU and power it up should just power on and do nothing if you have a speaker you will hear a beep, If it does that add a stick of RAM and try again same thing should happen then try with video card should boot through post and say no boot media or something along those lines then try with Hard Drives and optics. Of course if you can't get it to do anything with just CPU in the socket then I am at a loss and you might have a bad CPU or RAM, but this should help pinpoint a little better.

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Did reset the Bios, nothing.
Will do a bench test and see if I can isolate the problem child.
Thanks again for your help.
Will keep you posted.

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

The EVGA MB I am having the problem with has a CMOS reset switch. I am unable to verify if there is also a jumper.
I will be taking it all apart today and attempting the bench test.
Thankfully I have my 25 dollar computer up and running to be able to even post this.
I didn't send the ASUS MB back yet so I at least have that to be able to verify if it is the MB itself that is the problem.
Thanks again for your help.
I will keep you posted on the progress.

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Thanks!!!
I marked it on my "wish list" if it turns out to be the PSU that is the problem, I'll be making that purchase.

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Well it's definitely the MB. I will have to RMA it to EVGA.
I've reinstalled the ASUS and will deal with the shut down problem until I can get the EVGA replaced.
I may have figured out that problem to a faulty plug from the PSU.
Thanks again for all the help.

mcshleee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
OK you are not going to believe this. There is a switch about 2mm in size on the back of this ASUS MB that when in the off position automatically shuts the system down after "X" amount of time. There is nothing in the manual about this. It's not even mentioned. It took 3 hours and and insane amount of digging to figure this out.
I feel stupid and a little pissed that these guts couldn't at least put one small paragraph about this in their manual. I did let them know.
Thanks again for your help. This has been a learning experience.