Sign in with
Your question

What do with graphics drivers when updating from 4870 to 5970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2010 4:03:27 PM

I currently have 2 x 4870s in crossfire, with the appropriate drivers. I've sold them and am buying a 5970. Do I have to totally remove the drivers I already have and install new ones, or will the drivers I have work fine?
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 4:07:26 PM

It would be ideal to driversweep them then do a fresh install.
October 3, 2010 8:11:57 PM

Hello,

My advice is to remove completely all ATI drivers prior installing the videocard.

Firstl; download new fresh drivers from ATI website. Remove all old drivers via Windows. Then download DriverSweeper and run Windows in safemode and use DriverSweeper to clean only ATI Display drivers. After that reboot and shut down your computer.

Install the new videocard, boot your computer up and install the latest drivers. After that your ready to go.

I hope this helps.
Related resources
October 3, 2010 9:07:51 PM

Right, i'll give that a go, thanks. The only thing is though, I have sold my cards and will be taking them out of my system tomorrow, however my new card will not be here until tuesday. Would the correct procedure be;

Remove Cards
Boot with onboard VGA
Uninstall drivers in windows
Use DriverSweeper in safe mode
Wait for new cards to arrive and install them
Install new drivers

Thanks for your help.
October 4, 2010 3:06:15 PM

Hello,

If you are absolute sure that your motherboard have a integrated onboard videocard then i don't see any problems.
October 5, 2010 12:36:20 AM

Yes, I just thought about that today, and it turns out that I don't. What would be the best course of action to take? I can't believe I've never checked that!
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 1:47:36 AM

It really doesn't matter, as long as you clean out the drives and do a fresh install youll be fine.
October 5, 2010 8:05:51 AM

Chipstik said:
Yes, I just thought about that today, and it turns out that I don't. What would be the best course of action to take? I can't believe I've never checked that!

Hello,

You can also do it this way. Wait for your new videocard to arrive; install it. Let the computer boot up in Normal mode. Clean the drivers on the normal way. Download new drivers, and DriverSweeper. Shut down computer, boot up in Safe mode. Use driversweeper to sweep the remainings of the drivers. Reboot in normal mode and install new drivers.

Regards.
October 5, 2010 8:17:57 AM

Nice, I'll give it a try! Thanks a lot!
October 6, 2010 4:46:59 PM

Chipstik said:
Nice, I'll give it a try! Thanks a lot!

Hello,

Your welcome, would you mind to report back if it have helped you?

Thanks.

Regards.
October 7, 2010 10:03:02 AM

Yes, worked flawlessly, thanks. This card is a beast!
!