cris17

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Hello to all, specs for this build are asus P5N32e sli, core2 duo e7500, corsair ddr2 cm2x2048 6400c5 800mhz,geforce 9500gt 1g ddr3, and coolmax 700w. After initial pwr up got nothing no beeps and black screen, so after doing some research and reading various forums this is what I did.

1.Installed fresh battery to mobo.
2. unplugged everything except cpu and power connections to mobo.

I powered up and got 1 long beep and two short (missing mem from what I read on asus forum)

Installed one stick powered sys up and got nothing no beeps no screen.

I then cleared cmos and tried again with only cpu got the same beeps as stated above.

So wene I connect anything to mobo it doesn't do anything, if I pwr up with only cpu I get one long beep and two short. Problems begin if I connect anything to mobo.

Let me just say I've had this mobo in the box for 3 years and before I look for another I wanted to ask for an opinion. Thank you

Check that you have properly inserted both power connectors from the psu to the mobo. Make sure there are no grounding issues (usually "breadboard" - pull mobo out of case, place on NON-conductive surface). Power-up and see if any change in symptoms.

If no change, psu, memory, and mobo are the suspects. Try another known-working psu, or try your psu in another known-working PC to validate/eliminate psu. Also try your memory in another PC if possible, or vice-versa to validate/eliminate memory.

If your psu and memory prove good, the mobo is the issue. Otherwise you would need to make a guess as to which part is bad.

(How old is the psu? When did you last see it working? Same with memory.)

cris17

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Thanks for your reply, pwr connectors are in place, psu tested on different sys and works fine, gpu tested and works on different sys, now in order for me to breadboard how do I power up should I use case pwr switch? and as far as mem goes I Have no way of testing. Since mobo is about three years old could that be a problem? Thanks

During the build you connected your case power switch to two pins on the motherboard. Pressing the case switch then momentarily connects those two pins. When breadboarding, use a (metal) screwdriver and touch both of those pins at the same time.

Assuming the PC still doesn't post, and since you have validated the psu, we're down to memory and mobo. Since it won't run with 2 sticks or either stick, the odds shift very heavily to the mobo being faulty.

You might take a look at the pins in the memory slots and look for corrosion/oxidation - its been 3 years.

cris17

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Ok as per instructions configured mobo with cpu, mem, and necessary pwr supply, wene I powered psu mobo led lit, then went ahead and tried powering up with screwdriver and nothing responded, fan on cpu did nothing, fan on gpu same, no beeps nothing so my guess is mobo, what do you think?

Last check - take the memory out . . . try again . . . should beep as it did for you when in the case.

If it beeps, then the mobo "performed" same in and out of case, ie, not a grounding issue.

We'd be back to most likely bad mobo, yet small chance could still be memory.

cris17

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Ok tested motherboard w power and cpu connected, green led lit still nothing happens, cpu fan doesn't spin. I checked mem and gold fingers look good, nothing is corroded , nothing is bent.