Need help with onboard video/ video card/motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I bought a custom computer from a guy recently and was very satisfied with its performance for price. I later come to find out that the computer doesn't even have a video card just an onboard video chipset called ATi Radeon Hd 4200 which was able to pass my unreal tournament test. I being a computer nooby didn't realize such things existed! :pt1cable: So i am asking later on if i want to put a video card in it because well its not the best graphics what will the onboard video do? Will i have to disable it or something? I have read that i might have to use Ati graphics cards. Also, I can't find out what kind of video cards this motherboard is compatable with so if you know anything thanks in advance on that too.

I have Gigabyte Ma785gm-Us2h motherboard

Solution

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

I have the same mobo as you, se let me shine some light on the subject.

The onboard 4200 is a descent unit as far as built in cards are concerned, but is derived from a value oriented desktop card 3 generations ago. Now its better than the original 2400 from which its based off, but not y much.

If you plan on playing games that are around 5 years old or so, and if you resolution is low (1440/900 and around there) or games that are not very demanding, you could do ok, you will need to lower some settings, but you should do fine (for example, you can play world of warcraft at medium settings).

But in todays gaming world, the 4200 is considered beyond low end, its obsolete. Thus most modern games would overpower the poor little GPU. The card also shares your system memory, so that means less memory for the rest of your PC.

Now I would suggest you add a budget video card if you plan on doing some modern gaming. You probably will want to disable the 4200 when you do get the card, but I think (not 100% sure, you can use both to drive multiple monitors).

If you do disable the 4200, than you can use either a Nvidia or a ATI card.

I recommend an ATI 5670, its power efficient, so it will probably play nice with your PSU, its a huge upgrade over the 4200, and uses the same drivers (you can switch from the 5670 to the 4200 w/o driver changes).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870&cm_re=ati_5670-_-14-102-870-_-Product

Hope this helps.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.