Asus m5a99x evo video problems

healthtech

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hello,

I installed an Asus M5A99X Evo montherboard and EVGA GeForce 8400 GS PCI-E graphic card. Upon boot-up there was no video. No error code beeps.

Changed the PCI-E for a PCI video card and same result. No error code beeps.

The system seems to go through motions of booting however no video output.

Since M5A99X doesn't have integrated graphics there is no switch or jumper to disable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Solution
Replace the motherboard.
Or if you refuse to believe that the board is a defect, you can try installing two cards of memory in the two slots closest to the CPU. (ignore the instruction manual)
You can also open the bios settings, and shut off "cool and quiet" feature, check the video memory allocations, etc...
There is video settings in the bios set-up. But I would not bank on it solving the problem, try if you want.
The big advantage to using a different motherboard is that it will start up and work on the first try....With no further goofing around.

The EVO, power saver features, generally don't work. It reduces so much power that the system can't maintain operation. Shutting off all the power saver features in the bios will...
Replace the motherboard.
Or if you refuse to believe that the board is a defect, you can try installing two cards of memory in the two slots closest to the CPU. (ignore the instruction manual)
You can also open the bios settings, and shut off "cool and quiet" feature, check the video memory allocations, etc...
There is video settings in the bios set-up. But I would not bank on it solving the problem, try if you want.
The big advantage to using a different motherboard is that it will start up and work on the first try....With no further goofing around.

The EVO, power saver features, generally don't work. It reduces so much power that the system can't maintain operation. Shutting off all the power saver features in the bios will sometimes make the thing work, for a while.

Solution

thefoxer

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I'm having the same problem, no video and no error code beeps. I cannot open my BIOS up because nothing happens! I turn it on, and the fans turn on for CPU, GPU, and PSU; but nothing appears on the screen nor post beeps. Anyone know? Been trying to solve this for a week.
thanks.

healthtech

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Thanks for the reply last month. I found out that the motherboard was defective and returned to the vendor. Bought another of the same model and it works great... super fast with the new AMD FX 8 core.