Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a MoBo, few questions

Last response: in Motherboards
October 27, 2011 3:31:48 AM

Hello, I feel like I'm asking some questions that have been answered before so sorry for the that.

I'm a first time builder and I'm having trouble deciding which MoBo to go with. I want to play BF3 and the latest games that are out.

I have an overall budget of ~$800 with $200 of that going to an i5 - 2500k processor. I'm guessing I have around $150 to spend on the MoBo but I can't be sure yet (does that sound right to anyone else?).

Anywho, my question is which MoBo do you think is the best one to go with at that price and if you could, why?

And I'm also wondering what the differences are between the Z68 and the P67 chipsets as well as how to determine if a MoBo is PCIe 3.0 ready.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

More about : mobo questions

a c 135 V Motherboard
October 27, 2011 10:58:40 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums ! :) 
Well,motherboard has the least impact on gaming.Make sure you get a powerful GPU(Which is the most important part for games)
I'd recommend Z68 over P67 because it's newer and has more features.
As for PCI-E 3.0,well it's basically written in the tech specs.Currently,PCI-E 3.0 boards are more expensive than PCI-E 2.0 ones
If you need a PCI-E 3.0 board,then this MSI one fits your price range and it's good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
But if you're fine with PCI-E 2.0,then have a look at ASUS P8Z68 series.
m
l
October 27, 2011 5:14:14 PM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums ! :) 
Well,motherboard has the least impact on gaming.Make sure you get a powerful GPU(Which is the most important part for games)
I'd recommend Z68 over P67 because it's newer and has more features.
As for PCI-E 3.0,well it's basically written in the tech specs.Currently,PCI-E 3.0 boards are more expensive than PCI-E 2.0 ones
If you need a PCI-E 3.0 board,then this MSI one fits your price range and it's good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
But if you're fine with PCI-E 2.0,then have a look at ASUS P8Z68 series.

Thanks for the reply :) 

I wouldn't say I need a PCIe 3.0 board because I plan on using a PCIe 2.0 card for this build, however I know that Intel will be releasing a new line of processors in the near future that take advantage of PCIe 3.0 tech and I'd like to be ready for that in case I do decide to upgrade, which admittedly I shouldn't need to do for quite some time. I'm not really sure how it works, though. From what I've read here and other places, with one of the yet-to-be released processors and a simple Bios update, a PCIe 2.0 slot that most current MoBos come equipped with can be converted into a PCIe 3.0 slot, since there's no special connectors or switches required to make it work. I don't know if that's true for all MoBos or just certain ones, though. I'm also wondering if a PCIe 2.0 card will work in a PCIe 3.0 slot, because I saw a nice ASrock board for $130 that has, IIRC, 2 PCIe 3.0 slots. I only plan on using one card for now since I'm kinda poor haha.

As for Z68, I was kinda assuming the same thing so that's probably what I'll get. I checked out the boards you suggested and will keep them in mind. Thanks again.
m
l
!