Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I5 Future Build - Opinions Please

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2010 10:12:53 PM

Hey there, I'm James from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.

I've had this Dimension 5000 since late '04 and I'll say it's not too shabby for music and simple computing. I recently bought a nice SG Barracuda 7200.12 500GB HDD & the fairly decent HD5450 budget GFX card. Whilst the hard drive is capable of storing 400GB of media yet retaining great performance (Windows 7 is fully loaded in roughly 35 seconds, eat your heart out, SSD boot speed fanboys!), the GFX card will never shine to cause a performance difference under the bottlenecks of 1GB 400mhz RAM (mixed), p4 3.0ghz and 300w PSU ya da ya da...

Anyway, I can afford the £350~ that it would cost to start from scratch with the components I've scoured for, and wish to primarily enjoy HD media, plentiful multitasking, and playing classic doom online without msn flash alerts slowing it down. I do intend to push the future rig closer to it's limits at some point in time with some slightly more modern games ;)  (FEAR2, Call of Duty 5 etc) and I'd like for you, the ever so knowledgable THF users, to give your opinions on the following specs I am interested in purchasing:

codename: Jam3vo
CPU: i5-760
MB: Asus P7P55D-E LX
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) 1600MHz C7 DDR3
HD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 SATA II [Already owned, love it!]
HD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6GB/s, 64MB cache
GFX: HD5450 512mb [Already owned]
PS: Colors Titan 650w (nice and cheap...)
Case: CiT Mars Midi Tower Case - Blue, see-thru!
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, Rev.2

I am looking to overclock with these parts! I will also be purchasing a new HDD soon enough. What do you think of all parts listed? Will they work together in harmony? I was also unsure about the Motherboard as there are 5 or more variants of the P7P55E club but it seems the LX is just as capable its family...

You should also be aware that I will be switching to Win7 64bit due to the existing RAM limitation, and will be getting thermal paste of course!

Thanks in advance for your input and sorry for the rambling on. First post here. yay!

More about : future build opinions

Best solution

November 27, 2010 8:09:30 AM

Hello James and welcome to the forums :) 
The specs look good;however,if you are planing to run new games,definitely change the VGA to at least HD 5750/GTS 450.
As for PSU,go with Corsair HX450(Or VX550 if your budget allows)
November 27, 2010 11:49:03 AM

the WD is a horrible deal. the sata 6 means nothing for mechanical drives because they can't exceed SATAII's max speeds, only a few SSD's can.

Get a seagate 7200.12 1tb or samsung spinpoint f3 1tb

I'd swap the cooler to a SCMG-2100 (scythe mugen-2)
Related resources
December 1, 2010 1:21:47 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

Maziar: I'm gonna hold back from buying another gfx card for another few months. As for the PSU, thanks, I checked out the VX and now I feel totally dumb for wanting to buy a cheap "cool looking" PSU - learnt a lot about them and will fork out the extra for the VX 550!

vindictive: Thanks for the heads up. I'll just decide between the seagate and samsung- both top quality inexpensive HDDs. As for the cooler, the mugen 2 is a little too pricey. I've looked at benchmarks and reviews and decided to go for a Hyper 212+ instead for very cheap. It should do well as I don't inend to overclock intensively.
December 8, 2010 9:56:27 AM

Best answer selected by Jam3volution.
December 8, 2010 2:26:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!