Your question
Solved

Strange color distortion?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2010 9:25:44 PM

I've been looking for answers to this perplexing problem of mine for quite some time, and i've decided it's time to ask all the lovely people on Tom's now,

About a week ago, i started getting severe artifacting and color distortion whenever anything moved on my screen basically, like clicking on anything, scrolling up/down a page, a video is playing, etc. But when their's nothing moving or going on on the screen, the color and everything is fine.

So, my first indication was, after being suggested this by a couple people, that it was my power supply that has turn faulty from my video card, which is a HD 5670, being 100 watts below the requirements for the card, which is at least 400w. So i bought and installed a Thermaltake TR2 600w power supply, but the same problem stayed, so i returned that and put back in my original supply, a bestec 300w.

My second indication was the video card is faulty, so i put in my old card, a Nvidia 9300 GE, but the same problem still persisted, so i put my HD 5670 back in.

My last indication was maybe the monitor cord was faulty, so i bought a brand new cord, but that didn't work either. I also thought maybe it was my monitor, so i spent some time messing with the settings, but no dice, the monitor appears to have nothing to do with the problem, it's something with the computer's hardware.

So, after all these attempts of revival i am at a loss at what else to do, anyone have any other suggestions, or their own indication to where the problem is coming from?

I made a video to try to show what i mean by the whole screen brightening thing, the artifacting is gone, but now the all colors brighten when any action or movement is made, just pay attention to the colors.

http://flic.kr/p/8FpFqP

This is my rig's specs:

Intel Core2duo E7500(2.99Ghz)
4 gigs of ram
ATi Visiontek 5670 1gb
Bastek 300W PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate

More about : strange color distortion

October 3, 2010 9:44:50 PM

Never seen anything like this!

Have you tried a different monitor?

m
l
October 4, 2010 9:50:59 AM

I know right?

No, not yet at least, i'd have to take it over to a buddies house some time this week, seeing as how i don't have another monitor, but that idea did cross my mind, i'll be sure to update the results on here.

Anyone else have any ideas?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 9:57:33 AM

See if one of your TV's support VGA and try that.

Most TV's now support VGA connectors and act like monitors. This would be better than taking it to your mates house and alot simpler.

Also, are you using VGA to DVI Connector, or a straight DVI cable from your GPU to Monitor? It could be the DVI connector linked from the VGA cable.
m
l
October 4, 2010 3:30:22 PM

RECCY: You may be thinking of a gender bender, vga and dvi are not compatible, in any way except thru a gender bender..:) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 4:05:54 PM

DVI to VGA Adapter is the more technical term. Gender Bender?? Nver heard it called that before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I ment this adapter could be at fault, as it was mine when i upgraded to a new card, it seemed to blow up, hense why i had to get another one.
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 5:01:22 PM

reccy said:
DVI to VGA Adapter is the more technical term. Gender Bender?? Nver heard it called that before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I ment this adapter could be at fault, as it was mine when i upgraded to a new card, it seemed to blow up, hense why i had to get another one.

A "Gender bender" is used to connect two male or two female leads to each other, dokk2 is talking cobblers.
m
l
October 5, 2010 3:41:49 AM

Alright so i've plugged it into my TV, and the brightness problem was not happening, hence, it actually is my monitor that is at fault here.

Yes, i was using a VGA to DVI adapter, and i took it off but the problem still persists.

So, in conclusion to all of this mess, it's been my monitor this whole time, but, i still don't understand how my monitor would crap out like that, Could it have been caused by my video card? The monitor is only just over a year old, it's a Westinghouse, which is one of Best Buy's value brands, and it never had any problems, nor showed any hints of aging or deformation, i just don't understand.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 1:36:51 PM

Hardware isnt flawless mate. Anything in the world is prone to collapse or break down weather 2 days old or 2 years old. Technology and coponents work in strange ways. If it under warranty get it replaced, if not, its just bad luck. You may get another Monitor which last 4/5 times aslong.
October 13, 2010 7:48:03 AM

Best answer selected by Czar Zach.
m
l
!