Dual power supply

thumbchi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Hello guys. I have a GTX 460 and the power input is not enough. So can i run two ATX power supplies to power my system?

One power supply to power the VGA
And the other Power supply to power the hard drives and CPU ?

It is technically possible, but not recommended. If you have to ask the question, you will likely be unable to ensure the common grounds required to keep one psu from frying the other's parts.

There's just too much danger for me to instruct or recommend this approach.

thumbchi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Hey but i think you can use a 2nd power supply to power hard drives and optical drives and leave the first power supply to power the motherboard and VGA card. In this setting the power supplies are isolated.

Wrong. Sorry.

thumbchi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
well why not? The sata data cable does not give power so the two power packs would not be in parralel where as the motherboard gives power throught pci express connector to the vga card so in this case the two power supplies would be in parallel.

The only way they would be isolated is if they weren't connected, can be done, but you need to be quick to turn the slave unit on when powering up the system.

You see, you are only concerned about power. That is neither the sole nor the major issue. And the drives are connected to the motherboard, along with your vid card etc.

And that's as far as we are going to go technically lol. It will not work, they are not isolated.

thumbchi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
A hard disk drive Or optical disk drive can be thought of as a device that sends and receives signals.

Eg:- Consider a case where a CD player is connected to a amplifier. We can power the two devices using a single source or two power sources. (In this case the power sources are isolated)

The same applies to the motherboard and hard disk drive scenario.

Hey check out the sata data specification. No power is given to the hard disk throught the data cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Note that romk lays out some very specific additional problems, but has yet to mention the most dangerous problem.

There is still more going on here, and the practice is not recommended for amateurs. There is another thread showing the after-fire photo that can result.