Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual power supply

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2010 11:13:11 PM

Hello guys. I have a GTX 460 and the power input is not enough. So can i run two ATX power supplies to power my system?

One power supply to power the VGA
And the other Power supply to power the hard drives and CPU ?

More about : dual power supply

a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2010 11:34:30 PM

It is technically possible, but not recommended. If you have to ask the question, you will likely be unable to ensure the common grounds required to keep one psu from frying the other's parts.

There's just too much danger for me to instruct or recommend this approach.
m
l
November 26, 2010 11:43:17 PM

Hey if you connect power supply A to motherboard and power supply B to the vga the 12 volt rails of the two power supplies would be parallel. I think this is not OK
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 12:12:24 AM

Pro tip: It is not OK.
November 27, 2010 12:15:01 AM

Best answer selected by thumbchi3.
m
l
November 27, 2010 12:16:04 AM

Hey but i think you can use a 2nd power supply to power hard drives and optical drives and leave the first power supply to power the motherboard and VGA card. In this setting the power supplies are isolated.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 12:16:35 AM

It can be done and I have seen it done but I do not recommend it because of the dangers of floating earths and conflicting voltages on power supply rails. It would be much better to get a single larger power supply. In short don’t do it.
m
l
November 27, 2010 12:26:35 AM

hey i wanna mark this thread as unsolved. I want a reply for my last post.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 12:28:03 AM

thumbchi3 said:
Hey but i think you can use a 2nd power supply to power hard drives and optical drives and leave the first power supply to power the motherboard and VGA card. In this setting the power supplies are isolated.
Wrong. Sorry.

m
l
November 27, 2010 12:30:14 AM

well why not? The sata data cable does not give power so the two power packs would not be in parralel where as the motherboard gives power throught pci express connector to the vga card so in this case the two power supplies would be in parallel.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 12:31:38 AM

thumbchi3 said:

The only way they would be isolated is if they weren't connected, can be done, but you need to be quick to turn the slave unit on when powering up the system.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 12:33:14 AM

You see, you are only concerned about power. That is neither the sole nor the major issue. And the drives are connected to the motherboard, along with your vid card etc.

And that's as far as we are going to go technically lol. It will not work, they are not isolated.
m
l
November 27, 2010 1:05:26 AM

A hard disk drive Or optical disk drive can be thought of as a device that sends and receives signals.

Eg:- Consider a case where a CD player is connected to a amplifier. We can power the two devices using a single source or two power sources. (In this case the power sources are isolated)

The same applies to the motherboard and hard disk drive scenario.

Hey check out the sata data specification. No power is given to the hard disk throught the data cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 9:56:01 AM

all this and the OP still hasnt gotten the hint that he/she needs a new PSU
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 12:26:45 PM

^ +1 for using the Search box
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 6:06:54 PM

Note that romk lays out some very specific additional problems, but has yet to mention the most dangerous problem.

There is still more going on here, and the practice is not recommended for amateurs. There is another thread showing the after-fire photo that can result.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2010 6:14:50 PM

^ lol - i think thumbchi3 needs to see that pic :D 
m
l
!