apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hey all,

I have an ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard and I'm contemplating getting a OCZ Solid 3 120gb SSD (on sale for $115).

According to a review on Destructoid, people have been saying that they find problems with these SSD's on the Z68 boards because it has something to do with Intel's SATA specification, apparently it causes periodic hanging and BSOD's that need a full power cycle to fix.

Does anyone know if this claim is true? This is a good deal, but I hear a lot of OCZ's SSD's have mixed reviews. I might just wait until a Crucial M4 goes on sale then. But I'm not sure, did the new firmware fix the probled with the Z68 boards? Thank you :)

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
OCZ SSDs have been having issues, but it's due to the SandForce controller itself.

They released a new firmware update (2.15) which fixes the BSOD issue.

I am using both Z68 and OCZ SSDs without issue (no BSOD for the last fortnight).

Make sure you connect it to the Intel controller (the SATA3 ports next to the SATA2 on your motherboard) for best performance.

You can use Crucial M4 as well. I hear they are quite good.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Are they still having issues even now after the firmware release? I think I might just get the Crucial then, $80 more for much better hardware/firmware it seems.