Du22ty

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hey all I'm currently running a Q6600 with SLI 8800Gt and was looking to upgrade. Would it be worth it to upgrade to SLI GTX 460 or would I need to upgrade the processor to see any real benefit?

Du22ty

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Yeah like I said in the original post I'm running a Q6600 with two nvidia 8800GT. My motherboard is an Asus P5N-E SLI with 4 gig of ram. If there is anything more specific let me know and I'll try to look it up.

Thanks.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
If you get it to 3Ghz+, it won't have a problem at all. The problem with the Q6600 is heat, and the "newest and greatest" competition it has. Obviously, clock for clock, it's not as efficient as newer generations of chips, but if you get it's frequency up there, it does just as well as the new boys. This bench uses the Q9650, which is clocked up at 3.

http://www.techspot.com/review/124-intel-core-i7-920-940-965/page11.html

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It might be tricky, as the 680i is a big pita sometimes. Try it! Just leave the multi alone, set the FSB to 1333 and see if it posts. If it does POST (which it probably won't) check the temps ASAP. If they're safe, stress it and with a good bit of luck, it won't BSOD or kick back errors. Just watch the temps, as I assume you're using stock cooling.

I really wouldn't recommend the set it and forget it steps to an OC, but quite a few people can get to 333x9 easily without changing anything else. If you get there and want to go higher, you'll have to be a bit more methodical about vcore and FSB.

Lutfij

Titan
@ OP - Q6600+P5N-E SLI = Bad combo and the 750i was the dodgiest of all chips when OC'ong. I can't remember which forum i dug it up but the nvidia chips had FSB holes...kinda like a spiked meter when viewing its FSB vs OC specs.

The only advice WE here can give is that you go by a trial and error basis - a guide to help you on your way.

EDIT - Further reads:
*Core2 OC'ing guide

**Memory OC'ing links|guides

Another tip on OC'ing - take your time researching and OC it, ofcourse if you have the cash to replace a whole rig, then by all means jump in :lol:

*** if all else fails, you an get a GA-EP45-UDxx board and overclock it like crazy

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
The best part about the old 65nm C2D/C2Q chips is how relatively simple a 10-25% OC is though. I too have heard about the holes, which I don't quite understand how they happen, but they're a definite bummer. I still say go for the common 333x9 and see what it gets you, it will at least get you a decent reference point to start from, up or down.

Lutfij

Titan
The holes aren't noticed until you step up the FSB slider to an arbitrary number at first attempt...BSOD and the machine loops into reboot. Most people RMA'd the board ,until on overclock.net, a forum member took the fight to the board - overcame the problem by taking the notch 5-10FSB's at a time, going higher for each successful OC. Mind you, this means days of testing if the OC was stable :lol:

Personally, I did ALOT of reading/digging up on the xfx 750i sli board | Asus Maximus II Formula build...until i learn't of the nforces dumbfounding discovery, an error which dated back from the 600series chip. I ended up getting a better mobo - in my member config RIG 1 ;)

**EDIT - the nforce chips also messed up the onboard lan

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Love it. Unfortunately, nForce chipsets have always been just decent, and never good overclockers. I had an old nForce4 board, and that thing had more of a black FSB hole, 330-450 were dead. I had to use 451x7 on my old E6600 :)

Lutfij

Titan
@ jack_attack & OP - i found the link

** scroll down a lil and you'll see the Richter scale :lol:
Unfortunately, nForce chipsets have always been just decent, and never good overclockers.
what can I say? they're like an old muscle car with a personality. You've gotta talk them through to get an ignition :D

I had an old nForce4 board, and that thing had more of a black FSB hole, 330-450 were dead.
hahaha, good one!

I had to use 451x7 on my old E6600
had? what happened to it?

there's another thread here where a guy needs a new mobo - turns out his prev mobo was P5N-E SLI - just died out on him.

Du22ty

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Haha I'm sure I will. Only problem is I tried to OC it in the past and failed miserably. I don't remember exactly but I think I need to reset some jumper on the board because the bios changes aren't taking effect. I'll have to do some research on it because I'm not too smart about these things.

Lutfij

Titan
@ Du22ty - you should read the links i've posted between my posts and jack_attack's post...the guide shows exactly what you'd need to do with the setup you have. Ofcourse, you'lll need an OC cos of the bottleneck you'll notice - either a lag in playability or choppy framerates...whichever is visible to the naked eye :D

I'll posted it again -

@ OP - Q6600+P5N-E SLI = Bad combo and the 750i was the dodgiest of all chips when OC'ong. I can't remember which forum i dug it up but the nvidia chips had FSB holes...kinda like a spiked meter when viewing its FSB vs OC specs.

The only advice WE here can give is that you go by a trial and error basis - a guide to help you on your way.

Another tip on OC'ing - take your time researching and OC it, ofcourse if you have the cash to replace a whole rig, then by all means jump in :lol:

EDIT - Further reads:
*Core2 OC'ing guide

**Memory OC'ing links|guides

*** if all else fails, you an get a GA-EP45-UDxx board and overclock it like crazy