How much better is the new 6000 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Well most rumors and specs say its worth waiting for. I might even upgrade my 4890 if the price is right. I was going to pull the trigger on a GTX 460, but then all this rumor started, so i figured since i was still doing pretty well, it couldnt hurt to wait a bit longer.

Edit, or maybe...
Hard to say at this point. All I really can guess is that the new cards will be a decent improvement over the 5xxx cards, otherwise why waste the money to switch over production? And who knows, perhaps NVidia will have some new cards out around then too. So if you can wait a couple weeks, I'd recommend it, even if all it does is reduce prices a little.

A really bad guess. They wouldn't bother with a new series unless the improvement is at least double that.

Timop

Distinguished

Unless they improved CFX performance by a huge margin and are pushing dual-GPU cards. Unlikely but possible.

The baseline would be it would be at least be on par with the 480 while having better performance/watt than the 5870 and added features.

If performance is really worse or only 15% better than the HD5000s without offering some eye-catching features (like 100%+ crossfire scaling), AMD/ATI would've rather done a respin of Evergreen, clock it higher and call it a day.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
its an odd point in the market. I'm rready for my new build, have money saved but am waiting not only to see benches on sandy bridge/ bulldozer but also see how the 6k series stacks up to the 5k series/ nvidia 400 series. on the 6k series there isn't a huge wait by the end of the month benchmarks should be everywhere provided the mid october release date turns out to be real

wait until the cards get released unless you currently have a computer that you are unable to game with. A gtx 480 will be a good card for a long time to come, but you will end up with a high power bill. The ati 6000 series look like they will be more efficient and more powerful.

The guy with nforce in his screen name calling others fanboys while giving a lowball estimate of ATIs next series as "tops."
Classic.

Lrrr

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
exactly 1.415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679 times better I know as I am a magnet :whistle:

Seriously though no one knows yet that isn't under embargo wait till they are released then check the benchmarks.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

Right now, we know that the 6000 series is supposed to increase tessellation performance and it'll be at par with the current Nviida fermis.For any more information, wait for release, which is just two weeks away.

Here is the question I have. Why are they debuting the 6000 series with only their mid-range cards? Based on the chart that shows the 6870 is only comparable to the 5850 in performance, there must be a flagship model they plan to release later. In the past, a new graphics card series has always debuted with the fastest, most expensive flagship version, and the mid-range cards followed later.

I'm also wondering if that is the reason for the change in number/naming scheme. A lot of people think the 6870 is going to be the fastest card on the market. It isn't, but the name change is creating some hype for people who are expecting it to be the new Nvidia-killer. After hearing reports about problems with the AMD chip manufacturing process, it might make sense to sow some confusion. That also would explain the availability of mid-range cards, instead of high-end. If you add it all up, for me, it only raises more questions.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
not necessarily true matto the hd5xxx series also debuted with the midrange cards (5770) . probably to sell the newer ones at a bit of a premium to early adopters then later as the months go on releas the upper and lower end cards and leveling down the new mid range cards into midrange pricing

Any thoughts about the name change though? I mean one would naturally assume that the 6870 is the logical replacement for the 5870, as the top single GPU card. The change in naming creates a perception and 'hype', that just wouldn't be there if everyone understood we were only talking about a mid-range GTX460 competitor. October would be one big 'yawn' in terms of video card expectations if this were really apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.