Sign in with
Your question

What's the next logical upgrade for my system?

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2010 3:07:44 AM

It's actually my brother's computer, anyways...he's thinking about upgrading. Here's what he's got:

Motherboard: Intel DG965SS (965G Express Chipset)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Memory: Kingston 4 GB DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia 9800 GTX

There are no major problems when playing games or anything, just wondering what the best upgrade would be right now.

More about : logical upgrade system

November 27, 2010 3:15:06 AM

It really depends on what his needs are right now. If he really doesn't need better equipment, it might be best not to upgrade. If hes a gamer, I personally would upgrade the video card, as he will see the biggest benefits from that. However like you said, he doesn't have any major issues, so it depends on what his focus is.
m
l
November 27, 2010 3:17:13 AM

I would say it depends on what you want to achieve with the upgrade. If you want it to be snappier in terms of like, responsiveness etc, then a newer processor might be a good idea. But Intel and AMD are gearing up for the release of the next generation of CPU so it might be a good idea to wait.

Memory boils down to what OS your running. I am running 4gb on DDR2 with X64 win 7 and honestly I dont see why people get more unless they are doing workstation and video editing. For games and surfing 4gb is enough for me.

I run a 620 Propus which is a bit faster than your CPU(http://www.techspot.com/review/197-amd-athlon2-x4-620/p...) so says techspot, and I run a 4850 which is about the same as your card. From my experience I noticed the biggest performance increase in FPS from changing my proc from my old Athlon X2 @ 3.0 to a Propus, versus going from 2b of ram to 4gb. So imagine it would be even smaller to get even more than that(in my case)

I wouldnt really think upgrading your video card would give a big boost since your proc is starting to age. I would start there personally. Others may think different however.
m
l
November 27, 2010 3:51:29 AM

Albyint said:
I wouldnt really think upgrading your video card would give a big boost since your proc is starting to age. I would start there personally. Others may think different however.

If you are talking specifically about gaming, then I would have to say that I half agree and half disagree on that.

I used to run a Core 2 Duo E6850 for a while and used several different video cards with it (going from a 7900 to an 8800GTS, to a GTX260 and finally a GTX285) and I always saw excellent framerate boosts in any of the games that I played. I also have that exact processor (Core 2 Quad Q6600) in another computer here (with that GTX 260 in it mentioned earlier) and it runs just fine.

However, when I did upgrade to a Core i5 I definitely saw a boost in both general use (obviously) and game performance as well, so upgrading the processor did help a good deal as well.

@OP

You can probably get away with using that processor for quite a while more, but as Albyint has pointed out, upgrading it will give you a boost in all areas. I agree with his statement on RAM as well, 4GB will still serve your brother just fine. You said that he doesn't have any problems with games, so he seems happy with his video card. A processor upgrade will likely benefit him best then if he isn't too concerned about his frame rates, as there are definitely better processors out there. Just be aware though that you will likely need to buy a new motherboard if you want any of the newer processors as well.
m
l
!