Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Secondary video card wont detect monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2010 11:30:32 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm having a weird issue and I can't find an answer. I have 2 video cards running crossfire. I have 2 monitors plugged into the primary one (2 DVI) and my secondary card has an HDMI out that I want to use.

My second video card won't detect any monitors. When I re-install the drivers I get an image on the HDMI out but when the install is complete it never comes up again.

I have an ASUS HD 4850 as my first card with my 2 DVI monitors and I have a Sapphire HD 4850 with the HDMI out. I have an EVGA SLI LE mobo.

If anyone has an idea as to why it wont detect anything I would be so happy to know.

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 4, 2010 8:31:05 PM

Well, if you have an SLi motherboard, I could see why this would be an issue considering it is probably prohibiting Crossfire from enabling, which is why you can't run 3 monitors at once.

Were you able to have Crossfire performance on this motherboard PRIOR to trying a 3 monitor setup? Can you confirm that Crossfire is actually kicking in?
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 4, 2010 9:28:20 PM

This might come down to the motherboard chipset. As borisof007 has asked, does the motherboard actually support Crossfire? If it's an nVidia chipset based motherboard that only supports SLI, it may be trickier or impossible to get it to do what you want.

How about the AMD Drivers (Catalyst Control Center), does it recognize a Crossfire setup?

To throw things off even more, Crossfire and SLI are designed to use TWO video cards for ONE image for gaming purposes. So if the cards run in SLI/Crossfire they won't want to output to multiple monitors. And since the ATI 4xxx series doesn't support EyeFinity, you can't go that route.

So you'd want the video cards running as two separate video cards would be my guess.

Quote:
ATI Eyefinity technology was introduced in AMD’s latest line of ATI Radeon™ HD 5000 Series graphics products which includes the following:

* ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 GPUs
* ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series GPUs
* ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 Series GPUs
* ATI Radeon™ HD 5670 GPUs
* ATI Radeon™ HD 5500 Series GPUs
* ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 GPUs
* ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5400 Series or higher GPUs

http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/products/eyefinity/...
Related resources
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 4, 2010 9:37:07 PM

@OP, try taking the Crossfire bridge off.
Score
October 11, 2010 2:22:56 AM

@jerreece: You said to run them as 2 separate video cards so I unchecked Crossfire in the CCC and it worked!

@Borisof007: I don't actually know how to see if Crossfire was working. I had it checked in the Control Center and thats about it lol. Could you tell me how to see if it's working?

Thanks everyone for the help!
Score
October 14, 2010 4:34:54 AM

Best answer selected by avanor.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 14, 2010 12:36:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!