Upgrading my CPU without going into the BIOS

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hello, I just purchased a lenovo desktop and it has a tilapia mother board. This has an AM3 socket and I am going to add a HD 6870 in the empty PCI slot. In the future I would like to change the Athlon 2 x2 255 over to a Phenom 2 X4 955 which is also a AM3 socket. Do you think that would work without changing the mother board or messing around with the BIOS?

Solution
You will most efinitely need a new power supply to run that GPU. Don't forget to add that into your budget.

I can't confirm what cpu's that board will support but I did find a forum where a user claimed to install a x4 965 (after installing a 550w power supply).

Good luck.

popatim

Titan
You will most efinitely need a new power supply to run that GPU. Don't forget to add that into your budget.

I can't confirm what cpu's that board will support but I did find a forum where a user claimed to install a x4 965 (after installing a 550w power supply).

Good luck.

Solution

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I have all ready installed a 750w PSU so I got that covered :wahoo: . If i had a regular mobo would I have to mess with the bios or does the mobo usualy detect the new processor once i throw it in? I'm hoping wile i cant mess with the speed or anything else that I can at least throw in a new processor so that I don't bottle neck that card lol.