Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z68-V PRO CPU LED Boot Error

Last response: in Motherboards
October 27, 2011 2:50:21 PM

I recently upgraded my machine, changing the motherboard, RAM, PSU and CPU (literally a whole new computer :na: ).

This is it:

Asus P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard
Intel i7 2600K (After Market Cooler)
8GB DDR3 Vengeance RAM (1600)
BFG GTX 285 OCX
Powercool 750W ATX PSU
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB

Upon first boot, nothing came up on screen, not even post but all fans, hardrives etc were operational. The red CPU LED light on the motherboard was lit and then a few seconds later the computer turned off and then a few seconds after that it turned back on again with the CPU LED still lit . About 30% of the time, it boots up fine and runs windows 7 without any problems. I've tried basically everything I could think of to see what could be causing this. I've tried stripping the computer down to the bare minimum, trying different RAM setups, different PSU's, resetting the BIOS/Cmos, reseating the CPU, Re-applying the CPU compound paste, seeing if the RAM's actually compatible and a few other things I can't remember atm. I've seen a few other people on the web with the same problem but not much help came from that. Anyone got any other ideas on how to fix this which doesn't involve returning it would be greatly appreciated :) 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 100 V Motherboard
October 27, 2011 3:26:39 PM

Which UEFI version are you using? And also which CPU cooler?

For a debug, use one memory module in the slot furthest from the CPU and see if the POST issues persist.

-Raja
October 27, 2011 4:20:28 PM

wow. just got this same mobo yesterday and im having the exact same issue. ive never gotten a display though. CPU led is on, it boots up for 2 seconds, resets, and then stays booted with no display, all fans running, and the CPU LED still on. i replaced everything except my PSU and i was thinking that might be the issue but now that im reading this, im not sure. PLEASE update if you find a solution, i really dont want to RMA this *** either, it took all day to build.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 100 V Motherboard
October 27, 2011 4:27:35 PM

ep0q said:
wow. just got this same mobo yesterday and im having the exact same issue. ive never gotten a display though. CPU led is on, it boots up for 2 seconds, resets, and then stays booted with no display, all fans running, and the CPU LED still on. i replaced everything except my PSU and i was thinking that might be the issue but now that im reading this, im not sure. PLEASE update if you find a solution, i really dont want to RMA this *** either, it took all day to build.

What UEFI build are you using and what memory?
October 27, 2011 6:30:27 PM

I have the exact same MB, and I have had the PC for some weeks now. TODAY it decided to suddenly reboot and it will not boot up again. CPU LED is lighting up. I reset the BIOS, which helped for a while. Ran Prime95 for 45 minuttes until i turned it off. Very soon after i turned it off, the PC died on me again.

I have Corsair XMS3 2x 4gb, i5 2500k CPU. GTX 460. Hyper 212 cooler. CPU was at 60 C after 40 min of Prime95. I also clocked the CPU down to 4,2 instead of 4,4 which had been stable for many weeks. Im using the stock UEFI.

Edit: Added info

I have not been able to turn it back on. I also started playing BF3 today :( 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 100 V Motherboard
October 27, 2011 8:15:22 PM

Stranden said:
I have the exact same MB, and I have had the PC for some weeks now. TODAY it decided to suddenly reboot and it will not boot up again. CPU LED is lighting up. I reset the BIOS, which helped for a while. Ran Prime95 for 45 minuttes until i turned it off. Very soon after i turned it off, the PC died on me again.

I have Corsair XMS3 2x 4gb, i5 2500k CPU. GTX 460. Hyper 212 cooler. CPU was at 60 C after 40 min of Prime95. I also clocked the CPU down to 4,2 instead of 4,4 which had been stable for many weeks. Im using the stock UEFI.

Edit: Added info

I have not been able to turn it back on. I also started playing BF3 today :( 

Clear CMOS and see if the board will POST. If it will not, pull one memory module and place the other stick in the slot furthest from the CPU and see if that helps.

I would recommend flashing to the latest UEFI if you can get the board to POST. If you cannot, check the memory and GPU are working fine still (in another system if possible) and if need be RMA the motherboard.

-Raja
October 27, 2011 8:18:47 PM

I actually found my problem, and it was easier than expected. One of the power cables had actually fallen half way out and wasnt connecting properly.... Kinda embarrasing :p . Weird, cause i did fasten them pretty good. I have a Corsair 650 TX. Hope the others get their problem fixed...
October 27, 2011 10:40:49 PM

raja@asus said:
What UEFI build are you using and what memory?

how do i know which uefi build im using? ive never gotten to the boot menu before. never done a flash. ram im using is GSKill sniper series ddr3 pc-18600. the cpu light stays on. i've reseated the processor and the heatsink. still stays on. it boots for 2 seconds, reboots, then stays on, all fans running, but cpu led still on constantly. the only thing not new is my PSU...but it worked just fine in my last computer and its a 750 watt.
October 27, 2011 10:49:19 PM

I think I've found what is causing this, upon further inspection of the CPU socket pins I noticed that one of them is missing the top bit, in other words the head of the pin. I think I may be returning this afterall :( 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 100 V Motherboard
October 27, 2011 11:21:00 PM

NVM - deleted

-Raja
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 100 V Motherboard
October 27, 2011 11:22:52 PM

ep0q said:
how do i know which uefi build im using? ive never gotten to the boot menu before. never done a flash. ram im using is GSKill sniper series ddr3 pc-18600. the cpu light stays on. i've reseated the processor and the heatsink. still stays on. it boots for 2 seconds, reboots, then stays on, all fans running, but cpu led still on constantly. the only thing not new is my PSU...but it worked just fine in my last computer and its a 750 watt.

Ahh confused your resposne with Jarret's. If the board will no longer POST, then RMA it if you are sure that the other parts are okay.
October 28, 2011 9:17:06 PM

I have just built a pc from scratch today with this motherboard and have the very same problem:

On power-up the CPU fan starts and then stops and the CPU error light on the MB comes on. The CPS fan comes back on again after about 2 seconds and remains on. The optical drive and HDD are active and I have never got anything displayed on the monitor nor any POST beeps despite several repeat attempts.

I'll be contacting the supplier tomorrow to get it replaced with a non ASUS alternate.

As like others I'm extremely unhappy with this and the time and effort I've wasted today trying to fix this fault and I doubt I'll go with Asus products again.

Mike

-
December 3, 2011 10:15:22 PM

I just posted on the same issue in the homebuilder section.... now that I've found this I'm just going to assume it's the board. I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem and make it work... no dice.

RMA it is.... what a pain... 2nd product from Asus that gave me issues. Ugh.
December 4, 2011 10:38:57 PM

Same MoBo
My LED light for the cpu is on as well however I have no RAM installed (ram got misplaced from my shopping cart cart ftl) Is the cpu led on because of there being no Ram?
Thanks guys
December 5, 2011 1:51:42 PM

Unfortunately in the end I did have to RMA it because the problem I stated in my previous post was un-fixable. My new board is just a GEN3 version of the previous one and is currently working perfectly.

Thanks for the help anyway :) 
March 11, 2012 11:45:13 PM

I just wanted to share my experience with this as well. I was having the same problem as the original post. I pulled the CPU out to find that one pin was bent over and touching another. I straightened it out and put the chip back in and was able to boot to windows.
March 15, 2012 1:53:40 AM

Hey, I know that this could be old, but I had a similar problem and found a quick fix... turned out that I didn't plug in the 8 pin power supply thingy. (pardom my word choice, but english isn't my first language). Make sure the MOBO is properly powered. Also, make sure that the cpu fan is in the CPU FAN slot not the CPU FAN N1 or w/e its called (there is one right above the CPU place in the p8z68 which is the WRONG ONE for the fan, the actual one is a little to the right)

Hope this helps :) 
June 17, 2012 2:14:25 PM

i just bought the asus sabertooth 990fx and when i turn it on the memory red led turn on then the video cards LED turns on and then the BOOT_DEVICE_LED turns on and then nothing happens(all fans are working) turns on, i dont know whay also doesnt display anything on the screen (using VGA on my TV) please i need some help!!!!!

what u bought is :

asus sabertooth 990fx Motherboard
FX-8150 CPU
RADEON HD 6970
16GB memory ram vengeance 1600mhz cmz...c10
SSD 120GB
HHD barracuda 2TB
Silent Pro hybrid 1050 corsair

please help me!!!!!!!!! all fans working but not display and
June 18, 2012 11:44:24 AM

Hi all, lot of you guys seems to have problem with motherboards (mb) rebooting an lights flashing.
Apart from the obvious, powercables goes on two places... made that misstake :) 
Had the same problem and found out the it is the mb running tests to get the cpu working together with the memory and other parts on the mb.
My solution was to update bios and after that no problems to boot. Though I have other problems, see other thread.
!