Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus or EVGA for GTX460 1gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2010 1:20:53 AM

Hi all,

What is better with noise between Asus and EVGA in GTX460 1gb???

Ive read that the EVGA is about 3db less than Asus but thats in the 768mb versions, so not sure if this still applies to 1gb versions???

Also if EVGA is better is it also a good idea to go the super clocked version???

Cheers and thanks in advance

More about : asus evga gtx460 1gb

a c 1363 U Graphics card
a c 299 Ĉ ASUS
October 4, 2010 1:53:47 AM

3db you will not notice the difference! The 1GB version might be different. If you are not planning to overclock yourself the SC is a good option.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 8:03:48 AM

If they are reference cards at 1gb, they maybe quite loud at full speed. (my Asus GTX470 is quite loud) nothing too worrying though, as i wear headphone and i cant hear the fans/computer.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 8:17:53 AM

reccy said:
If they are reference cards at 1gb, they maybe quite loud at full speed. (my Asus GTX470 is quite loud) nothing too worrying though, as i wear headphone and i cant hear the fans/computer.

The reference GTX 460s are not loud.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 8:27:17 AM

Hense why i said maybe, as my GTX470 is quite loud at full speed, and also my fathers GTX465 is quite loud, both reference cards.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 12:50:16 PM

Same card just OC'd from factory i believe, sometimes they reduce the warranty to cover this (ie down from 2 years to 1)

But they garuntee that is works stable at the OC'd state.

They both the same price, so i would go for the OC'd one anyways. :-)
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 1:13:34 PM

Either option would work so go for the OC as the prices are the same.
October 4, 2010 1:19:15 PM

I just hope if i go OC that the card will last just as long and iv also read that apprently the EVGA cards are "binned"
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 1:56:26 PM

If it doesn't last you have hte EVGA warranty to back you up. You shouldn't find any difference in their lifespan.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 2:21:39 PM

Check warranties on the card when you buy it, should be 2 years on most cards nowadays. Very unlikly you get less.

2 years is plenty as by this time, if your a hardcore gamer like myself, you'd be thinking of upgradign around this time to keep in contention of gaming technology and full quality gaming experiance.

Some GPU's last way longer than 2 years, some dont. Still have a 6800GS working in a rig about 5 years old, my 9800GT blew up a week after the warranty date ended.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 3:03:11 PM

reccy said:
Check warranties on the card when you buy it, should be 2 years on most cards nowadays. Very unlikly you get less.

2 years is plenty as by this time, if your a hardcore gamer like myself, you'd be thinking of upgradign around this time to keep in contention of gaming technology and full quality gaming experiance.

Some GPU's last way longer than 2 years, some dont. Still have a 6800GS working in a rig about 5 years old, my 9800GT blew up a week after the warranty date ended.

I guess NVidia made great GPUs with the 6xxx series. I have a 6800GT that I have OCed to 6800GTX specs and its been running like that for about 5 years also. Never had a problem.
Score
October 4, 2010 6:05:16 PM

The EVGA sounds a tad louder I think from charts I've seen. As for the superclock, sure go for it but I personally don't see what difference there OC is compared to just OC'ing one yourself.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 7:05:29 PM

skillmore said:
The EVGA sounds a tad louder I think from charts I've seen. As for the superclock, sure go for it but I personally don't see what difference there OC is compared to just OC'ing one yourself.

Voiding warranty for one, and the company who has overclocked the card from standard make sure its stable at the OC'd settings fine, so you literally just plug and play without having to worry about extra cooling or stability issues.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 7:34:39 PM

^+1 why oc on your own when a company will pay for your card to be replaced if they messed up the oc?
Score
a c 595 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 4, 2010 11:55:35 PM

The Superoverclocked cards have, yes, better binning. They have passed higher stress testing at the lab in order to be used in the Superoverclock versions. The flipside, I'm guessing, is those chips that don't pass the tests get used in the regular non-Superoverclock versions.

When judging how loud a video card is in a review, keep in mind whether or not it is factory overclocked. Generally, the overclocked cards in a given review will be higher performing, but louder, which is logical.

Asus cards seem rock solid to me in my experience.
Score
October 5, 2010 12:15:10 AM

reccy said:
Voiding warranty for one, and the company who has overclocked the card from standard make sure its stable at the OC'd settings fine, so you literally just plug and play without having to worry about extra cooling or stability issues.

OCing doesn't void the warranty, with EVGA at least. Hence why you just buy the reference lifetime warranty EVGA cards and just OC them yourself...
Score
October 5, 2010 12:26:13 AM

Yeh Asus seems to b good but as im in Australia i dont think the 1gb Top version has hit stores as yet or i havent seen them advertised.
Score
October 5, 2010 12:42:48 AM

Also im a casual gamer and my current system is 5 yrs old and now upgrading as i carnt play kner games as ive recently had an itch to play again.

So lets see how many yrs i get out of a GTX460 1gb or spend a abit more that would last longer.......
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 12:45:21 AM

Wait !, your putting this in a 5 year old system ? What specs, I don't see them in the thread ?
Score
October 5, 2010 11:17:22 AM

LOL no no im building a complete knew system and here are the spec's

Asus board P7P55D-E-LX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i5 760

Corsair 550W

Corsair 4bg kit Dominator ram

What u guyz think???

I may upgrade to the P7PD55D-E-PRO board but i dont plan to cross fire/sli so maybe not worth it and go 650w PSU, any thoughts???
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 12:01:17 PM

You have a good psu selected there the Corsair 550W should do.
Score
October 5, 2010 12:31:00 PM

deweycd

Does everything else look like a good combo???

Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 1:27:18 PM

Looks very good mate, solid gaming system there, will keep going for a while yet, 2/3+ years easy
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 1:27:39 PM

If you're intending to go for multi GPU in the future, go for the p7p55d pro.
Otherwise, its a great build!
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 2:13:47 PM

mickyyyy said:
deweycd

Does everything else look like a good combo???

I actually don't have access to newegg.com, I can only access their .ca site from my location. Sorry I can't help by looking through links, only go with details that are written here.
Score
October 5, 2010 9:54:50 PM

I dont see myself going the multi GPU route but i guess the money saved from a GPU MB i could go better single video card again......

It's about a $65.00 dfference between the LX and PRO board so i can move to a GTX470 or 5850 but not sure if ts worth it???
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 7:47:12 AM

I said exactly the same as you, but the SLI/Crossfire band wagon hit me in the face, and before i knew it, i had a 2nd GTX470 flexing for me to use it.

Loved it by the way, and love that ive actually got SLI working and working well.. Another acheivement ive done. :) 
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 6, 2010 7:58:02 AM

reccy said:
I said exactly the same as you, but the SLI/Crossfire band wagon hit me in the face, and before i knew it, i had a 2nd GTX470 flexing for me to use it.

Loved it by the way, and love that ive actually got SLI working and working well.. Another acheivement ive done. :) 

That's going to leave a bruise! :lol: 
Score
October 6, 2010 11:41:59 AM

Reccy dont say that LOL

I do believe that SLI/Crossfire isent for me as im a casual gamer and go through a phase and play games then i dont for a while. The GTX460 is a good mid end card so i think i can play games for at last 3yrs, before they require something better to run the game.

Also i mainly play Call of Duty, Company of heroes, splinter cell, Mafia
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 12:02:56 PM

mickyyyy said:
Reccy dont say that LOL

I do believe that SLI/Crossfire isent for me as im a casual gamer and go through a phase and play games then i dont for a while. The GTX460 is a good mid end card so i think i can play games for at last 3yrs, before they require something better to run the game.

Also i mainly play Call of Duty, Company of heroes, splinter cell, Mafia

Hence I said that your current build is fine.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 1:26:54 PM

Tamz_msc got a point, the currenty build looks good.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 2:46:50 PM

Dont get me wrong, your build is perfectly fine. I just got greedy and wanted more.. and then more, ohh and then some more.. :(  lol
Score
October 7, 2010 12:33:32 AM

hahahaha yeh i know what u mean as im like that with my cars and build bigger engines

Also should i go for C7 or C9 dominator ram???

Score
October 7, 2010 1:35:15 AM

I like G.Skill RAM vs. Corsair, but that's just me.
Score
a c 595 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 7, 2010 2:47:05 AM

C7 will be faster than C9 RAM. Adding more RAM is always a good thing too. I like the Dominator RAM because it seems fast, stable, and reliable. You need to watch out for the tall RAM heatsinks. They may get in the way of tower-type CPU heatsink, but they are easily removable with an allen wrench. My Dominator RAM also came with a dual fan cooler that sits on top. Since I havn't overclocked the RAM, it seems unnecessary though, especially since they already come with heatsinks.

What type of CPU cooler are you using, mickyyyy? Are you running Windows XP or 7?
Score
October 7, 2010 4:19:15 AM

Im running windows XP but may upgrade to windows 7 in a couple yrs and im not sure what type of cpu coller i should use, any suggestions???
Score
a c 595 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 7, 2010 3:18:30 PM

Here is where you need to be real careful, because many of the common tower-type CPU air coolers are large and will cover one or two RAM slots. If you only have two sticks of RAM, then you should have no problems. I had to remove one of my RAM heatshinks to get the Corsair A70 to fit. There are also the self-contained water cooling units from Corsair, H50 and H70. That aside, I would check out the Zalman CNPS 10X Quiet. In reviews I have seen, it is one of the best performers and one of the quietest.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/zalman-cnps-10x-quiet-and...
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 4:32:30 PM

Others may have touched on this, but the reference card design is generally quieter than any of the third party cooling solutions (like the ASUS DirectCU design). Its one of the best reference HSF that Nvidia has produced. All of them are noisy at anything greater than 60%, but the reference will rarely go beyond the stock 40%. Running Furmark my reference GTX 460 1GB (oc'd to 800 Mhz) never passed that 40% and didn't exceed 68C after 20 minutes. I couldn't say that for the MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1GB that I returned - it went up to 63% on auto fan while doing Furmark and was quite noisy in the process.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 4:38:28 PM

jeffredo said:
Others may have touched on this, but the reference card design is generally quieter than any of the third party cooling solutions (like the ASUS DirectCU design). Its one of the best reference HSF that Nvidia has produced. All of them are noisy at anything greater than 60%, but the reference will rarely go beyond the stock 40%. Running Furmark my reference GTX 460 1GB (oc'd to 800 Mhz) never passed that 40% and didn't exceed 68C after 20 minutes. I couldn't say that for the MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1GB that I returned - it went up to 63% on auto fan while doing Furmark and was quite noisy in the process.

Thats strange.Many reviews state that the Cyclone is one of the quietest 460s, apart from the reference design.
Score
October 14, 2010 6:59:27 AM

Ive made the order so ill have it in a couple days so ill let u know how it is.

The dude i made the oder with said i dont need cpu cooler as im running everything at stock so not worth it. What do u guyz think???
Score
a c 595 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2010 3:02:02 PM

Does that CPU even come with a stock heatsink? It might, but I know my Core i7-875K did not include a heatsink.
Score
a c 595 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2010 3:06:44 PM

Tamz_msc said:
Thats strange.Many reviews state that the Cyclone is one of the quietest 460s, apart from the reference design.

I've got a review with the Cyclone at 43dB, with four other 1gb cards listed at lower noise levels, including Zotac, Palit, Axle, all the way down to the ECS Black at 37dB. In fact, only the reference model is louder at 44dB (also KFA2).
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ecs-geforce-gtx-460-black...
Score
October 18, 2010 7:29:46 AM

Card is quiet to me but i carnt compare to other's but will return and let u guyz know how it performs, a ill be picking it up in the next couple days.

Can u believe a 650w corsair didnt have enough juice as it kept freezing and they changed mb and tryed different ram, then changed to 900watt GW Greatwall and worked.

I carnt see my setup needing that much power??? or its about right???
Score
October 25, 2010 4:33:40 AM

Best answer selected by mickyyyy.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 25, 2010 4:23:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!