Closed

Graphics card only works correctly WITHOUT 6-pin connector

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2010 1:59:06 AM

I have an 8600GTS and while using my computer normally (just internet or something, no gaming or HD videos) it went coo coo on me. I can't even explain what it looks like. It’s not always the same (lines, squares, colors, patches, etc.) it just goes nuts. Not just in Windows, but even in the POST, and everything. That’s why I think it’s something in the video card.

While I attempted to troubleshoot the problem, one of the only things I could think of was disconnecting the external power (6-pin connector) this works meaning I can turn on my computer and there is no special effects or anything, but the obvious downside is that it is underpowered so I can’t watch HD movies or play games. It freezes, or blue screens if I try. I have it like this for now, please help!

More about : graphics card works correctly pin connector

Best solution

a c 173 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 2:39:39 AM

It sounds like you have a power stage issue so knowing the 8600gts fairly well start looking at the card for bulging or broken capacitors or burned out mosfets. If the choke coil failed then in any case you have no choice but to replace the card even though it manages in 2D to draw enough power form the slot. You can try to down clock the card down to 8600gt or lower levels. If it still acts up then you have no choice but to ditch it.

Suggested replacements

GT240, 9800gt, 5670, or better.

No ATI fanboys!
October 4, 2010 4:20:30 AM

Dude thanks, I'm not sure how long the warranty was but I'm pretty sure its over by now...I wonder how much they charge for a replacement out of warranty. I updated the drivers and plugged the 6-pin back in. I tested an HD movie and worked fine, haven't tested 3D. Either way I hope it at least holds out until xmas, I'm hoping to get a 5770. Btw do you know if any cards came out this year? I haven't seen any. Last big news for me was the 480s no?
Score
Related resources
October 4, 2010 4:20:59 AM

Best answer selected by UnretroGamer.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 4:47:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!