Corporate Stable Equivalent

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
What is the branding for Corporate Stable (as Asus calls it) motherboards outside of Asus?

I need to find a board that is not only reliable but will also be available on the shelf the longest. When some part of a machine breaks it is easy to pick up a drop-in replacement 5-10 years later but for computers it is trickier since many mobos drop off the shelves about a year after release.

I have custom casing so I need exactly the same motherboard to be available in 3-5 years at least. What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

I suggest you simply order two of the same boards, so you have a spare. Better to get two budget boards than one expensive one. Just my humble opinion. Most micro atx boards have onboard video; most atx boards don't, though the last foxconn board I owned came with the video onboard.

You can check out this site http://www3.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/101286.htm it lists our extented life cycle plan boards. As a general rule in a desktop environment you will have a hard time finding something for 3 to 5 years but there are some reseller that will carry discontinued products like www.cuetech.com that can get you discontinued product well after they have been discontinued.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution
Why gamble on finding your board in five years. Your business can probably afford a second board. Just the downtime searching and ordering another board could cost your business more than the second board. A good server board is around $350; I suggest Tyan with an Intel cpu.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
It wouldn't be a second board; more like we'll buy 200 (50 now, 50 in a few months, ...) and don't want to allocate the capital to buying a stack of spares now.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah that's what I tried to have happen before but no one listened.

Thing is that it's not just for replacing broken ones but for further manufacturing runs. I have to change the case (custom cast) every time we change the motherboard. The previous one lasted these last 3 years through finding some warehouses with forgotten inventory but it would be nice to get a model that is slated to last that long right from the get-go.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I finally found one example (http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/spec/NF9A-Q67.pdf) - "Industrial Embedded Platform with 5-Year Availability".

I'll look at their FM1 socket stuff too and then try to find other manufacturers with similar provisions such that I can pick the best one.