Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU for 2 GTX 260s

Last response: in Components
Share
February 23, 2011 12:13:35 AM

I'm currently debating getting another GTX 260 since I found one cheap, however, I'm unsure if my PSU can handle it.

Some specs: Quad core Q9400
GTX 260
Blu ray drive
Nvidia 780i motherboard
4 sticks of RAM
Creative X-fi sound card
Regular harddrive
And my PSU is http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Even if my PSU can take it, it lacks the 2 additional 6 pin connectors I'd need for the card, so I'd need to get some adapters, which is a pain.

Thoughts?

More about : psu gtx 260s

Best solution

a c 259 ) Power supply
February 23, 2011 12:19:46 AM

It should handle 2 GTX 260s fine. If you are trying to be talked into buying a new PSU I would stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling , XFX or Antec. 650w or better will give you some headrooom.

Adapters are cheaper ;) 
Share
a c 164 ) Power supply
February 23, 2011 12:27:21 AM

the PSU is up to the task, may as well use it
m
0
l
Related resources
February 23, 2011 3:33:59 AM

anort3 said:
It should handle 2 GTX 260s fine. If you are trying to be talked into buying a new PSU I would stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling , XFX or Antec. 650w or better will give you some headrooom.

Adapters are cheaper ;) 

Okay, well, I'll take your word for it. Thanks
m
0
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
February 23, 2011 3:40:28 AM

Glad to help.
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 3:48:15 AM

PSU has abnormally weak 12V rails for a 700W PSU, and these the important rails (ur CPU and both GPUs feed of this).

MY so-so Sigma Shark 635W PSU in my server PC has a pair of 20A 12v rails, my brothers Crosair 550W PSU has a single 41A 12V, and my 650W NZXT Hale90 has a single 54A rail.

So all my PSU have less max wattage, but the lowest wattage PSU has more amperage on the 12v rail.

And since the total amperage is less than the combination of the individual rails, you ar elooking at bellow 33-34A on 12V.

You are gonna be very close to the limit if not past it under load with the set up.
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 5:37:57 AM

vilenjan said:
PSU has abnormally weak 12V rails for a 700W PSU, and these the important rails (ur CPU and both GPUs feed of this).

MY so-so Sigma Shark 635W PSU in my server PC has a pair of 20A 12v rails, my brothers Crosair 550W PSU has a single 41A 12V, and my 650W NZXT Hale90 has a single 54A rail.

So all my PSU have less max wattage, but the lowest wattage PSU has more amperage on the 12v rail.

And since the total amperage is less than the combination of the individual rails, you ar elooking at bellow 33-34A on 12V.

You are gonna be very close to the limit if not past it under load with the set up.


Now you have me kinda worried ._.;
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 6:22:14 AM

Your new system will have a higher maximum draw than the pair of 18A rails can pump out. I am surprised that OCZ would put out a PSU like that, essentially in inflated 500W unit that has uselessly high 3.3 and 5V rails.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A solid PSU right there, with a good 60A in a single 12V rail, and a 80+ bronze rating to boot to save u on the power bill. Don't cheap out on the PSU, if it goes, it can take ur whole system with it.

Ohh and the PSU I linked has 4 PCI-e connectors, so no adapters needed!
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 6:52:05 AM

vilenjan said:
Your new system will have a higher maximum draw than the pair of 18A rails can pump out. I am surprised that OCZ would put out a PSU like that, essentially in inflated 500W unit that has uselessly high 3.3 and 5V rails.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A solid PSU right there, with a good 60A in a single 12V rail, and a 80+ bronze rating to boot to save u on the power bill. Don't cheap out on the PSU, if it goes, it can take ur whole system with it.

Ohh and the PSU I linked has 4 PCI-e connectors, so no adapters needed!

I didn't look here earlier, but, (for gtx 260s) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279391-28-power-requi... says "For SLI you should have at least a 600 watt power supply.".

Wouldn't 700 be good then? Also, I'm not really sure how to read about 12 volt rails, but it also says "Recommended 42 Amps on the 12 volt rail for single card and 50 Amps for SLI."
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2011 8:23:27 AM

I over estimated that one a tad because it is a power hungry card and can OC fairly good. At the absolute minimum I would not run SLI with less then 45 amps combined on the 12v rail and a single card needs at least 36 Amps on the 12volt rail. You will most likely have stability issues if you try to run SLI with that power supply.
m
0
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
February 23, 2011 12:25:51 PM

don't look at the the spec's on the sheet, tigerdirect screwed up stating "2x 12v @ 18a each"

look on the PSU, its actually 4x 12v @ 18a for what looks to be 680w total (57a). so power wise he will be just fine


m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2011 12:28:19 PM

^Good catch CT I thought that was really weak even for OCZ.
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 3:19:43 PM

It it is indeed 4x18A than it would be fine, I still recommend against using an adapter, or two in your cae, but your PSU should than be enough, maybe.
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 6:00:17 PM

ct1615 said:
don't look at the the spec's on the sheet, tigerdirect screwed up stating "2x 12v @ 18a each"

look on the PSU, its actually 4x 12v @ 18a for what looks to be 680w total (57a). so power wise he will be just fine


http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/SkuImages/gallery/large/O261-2005-e.JPG

Oh wow. Glanced at the manual and you're right. That was a pretty big mess up.
m
0
l
February 24, 2011 1:54:04 AM

Okay so, after all of that, are we agreeing it's okay to use or not? It's been divided to say the least
m
0
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
February 24, 2011 2:36:31 AM

I stick by my first post. It will run your cards and if you do decide to upgrade stick with the brands I listed.
m
0
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
February 24, 2011 2:42:18 AM

Eri said:
Okay so, after all of that, are we agreeing it's okay to use or not? It's been divided to say the least



it works, you already own it and it will do the job. you may as well use it
m
0
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
February 24, 2011 2:43:33 AM

Deja Vu. :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
February 24, 2011 6:13:01 AM

Ahaha. Well thanks again for the help :D 
m
0
l
February 24, 2011 6:14:34 AM

Best answer selected by Eri.
m
0
l
!