POST beep meaning?

AndreasV_51

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello

My motherboard is a P8Z68-V LE. I just built this external build, and it won't work.

Here's the beep sounds it makes during POST:
www.zshare.net/audio/952338035b6e0e0c/

Some additional information:
- no hdd yet, just testing.
- no real graphics card, using onboard graphics from my 2500k.
- ddr3 1066 mhz ram, recycled from an old Dell.

What does it mean? Thanks.

Also, I've looked in the manual but I couldn't find anything about POST codes.

I don't know what that sound at the 10 second mark was, but the sound at 11 seconds is a POST beep. The POST beep was a single short beep which is indicative of a successful POST. It is possible to have successfully pass POST w/o a display. That said, by "I just built this external build, and it won't work." do you mean that the computer turns on, but there is no display? If so, you could be experiencing an electrical short from one or more components.

AndreasV_51

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Well, that is so weird. I was grounded when I built it. After the beeps, it shows a black screen but it does not turn off.

If that is a DOS beep, what does it mean?

For now, ignore the beeps. If you have more than one RAM stick installed, remove all but one, and then try booting up again. If the same beeps and no display issues continue, shut down and move the RAM to another slot. Repeat this until either you have a display, or you've used all of the RAM sticks in all of the slots.

AndreasV_51

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I'll try a single memory module in every slot tomorrow. Is it normal that the screen is black even with these beeps?

Also, thanks for helping, it means a lot!

A "no display" concern isn't a normal operation mode, but it is a common problem. I am still quite curious about that first beep I heard from your audio clip. However, display issues are typically related to the following:

1. Bad RAM
2. Bad PSU
3. Bad mobo
4. Bad GPU

Note that some BIOS are designed to use a GPU as primary display. If this is true for your mobo BIOS, then the problem could simply be that there is no GPU installed. You might want to try that as well.

And you're welcome.

AndreasV_51

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I'll upload a higher quality audio clip tomorrow so it'll be easier to hear. This was recorded with my cellphone but as you can tell, the beeps do in fact have a different tone.

No problem.

Please post in as much detail as you can muster, the steps you went through to bring your display up. In the unlikely event somebody else has the exact same problem, they may find your steps useful.

AndreasV_51

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Sure. Besides switching from the analog VGA to the digital HDMI, I actually did not do anything else.

I have another question. I'm a DYI newbie. The motherboard only has 6 holes for screws - is that normal?

Yes. You'll find that all form factor-specific cases (ATX, BTX, etc) have the same mounting hole patterns. You'll also notice that your mobo will not occupy every hole in the case. This is due to the way the mobos are designed; some are mATX, so naturally, they'll use less space.

AndreasV_51

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I see, thanks. Now I'm pretty much done, except with the most essential part of an internal build - installing the motherboard (which is an LE and not a Pro as I mentioned in my first post). It's a pain in the a** because the I/O shield has clips/tabs which seem to prevent me from putting the ports into the shield..

AndreasV_51

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Yeah, I'll try that tomorrow. Can't wait to get my first build up and running. Feels so good knowing that I don't have to RMA it as I first thought :)