Broken Key on IBM Thinkpad 600E

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 6:45:25 AM

Hi all,

A key fell off my old IBM Thinkpad 600E. Is there a place to purchase a
single key, or do I have to replace the entire keyboard?

If I have to replace the entire keyboard... is there a good site to
purchase a replacement keyboard? Or even better... any authorized repair
depots that you can recommend in the Toronto area?

Thanks!

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b D Laptop

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
> A key fell off my old IBM Thinkpad 600E. Is there a place to purchase a
> single key, or do I have to replace the entire keyboard?

Do you still have the key? Is the spring mechanism broken? If not, you
should be able to snap it back into place, with a little patience and
maybe some help from a pair of tweezers or another small instrument.

If it's broken or lost, you'll have a hard time finding a replacement
for a single key. Your best bet IMO is just to buy a new keyboard on
eBay and replace it yourself. Keyboard replacements are usually very
easy on laptops. Most of the time you don't even need to unscrew
anything.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 3:36:09 AM

Which key do you need? I have several bad 600 KB's that I can send you the key
you need..

TJ,
Mesa, AZ

Lucas Tam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A key fell off my old IBM Thinkpad 600E. Is there a place to purchase a
> single key, or do I have to replace the entire keyboard?
>
> If I have to replace the entire keyboard... is there a good site to
> purchase a replacement keyboard? Or even better... any authorized repair
> depots that you can recommend in the Toronto area?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b D Laptop
February 8, 2005 8:51:50 AM

wbw wrote:
> Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>A key fell off my old IBM Thinkpad 600E. Is there a place to purchase a
>>single key, or do I have to replace the entire keyboard?
>

> Do you still have the key? Is the spring mechanism broken? If not, you
> should be able to snap it back into place, with a little patience and
> maybe some help from a pair of tweezers or another small instrument.
>
> If it's broken or lost, you'll have a hard time finding a replacement
> for a single key. Your best bet IMO is just to buy a new keyboard on
> eBay and replace it yourself. Keyboard replacements are usually very
> easy on laptops. Most of the time you don't even need to unscrew
> anything.

I have a PDF format tech. manual for the 600E if you need it.

--
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia