Sign in with
Your question

New build for around $900

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2010 9:01:27 AM

Hey all, I've been looking at a new build for myself and I wanted to get some advice from the people on here. I've done one build before this one but I'm still having a bit of trouble finding the best bang for my buck.

Approximate Purchase Date: The next 3-4 weeks.

Budget Range: Around 800-900. I can go a bit higher, this is just my ideal price range.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies and the typical internet browsing and whatnot.

Parts Not Required: Mouse, keyboard, monitor, and anything else that doesn't directly run the computer.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: I have no preference, I'm after whatever gives me the best bang for my buck.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Obviously, the lower the price, the better. If something will give me a small upgrade for a noticeable price difference, I probably wont want that.

I have looked at a few things so far and I have a small list of parts that is subject to change based on what advice you guys give me. I'm missing a couple things such as a cpu cooler and a psu. Any help is very much appreciated.

EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Kingston 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K3/6G

Kingston 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K3/6G

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX and ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case

More about : build 900

November 27, 2010 9:08:56 AM

Quote:
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies and the typical internet browsing and whatnot.

Hmm since u have no render/encode/vid+photo edi an X4 more than suffices for chip choice so

Tower @ $583AR

Optional bells/whistles
1. Another HD 6850
2. 60GB Sandforce based SSD
3. After maarket cooling

HD6K: single/CF review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-685...

m
l
November 27, 2010 9:22:28 AM

Thank you very much for your help. That definitely saves me a lot of money. Now, I do have a question. What would be the difference, in both price and performace, between an intel cpu and an amd cpu at around the same specs. Does it just come down to preference? Or is there a substantial difference between the two? Sorry for the newbie questions and I really appreciate your help.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2010 9:31:58 AM

Well in DIY for best results for the $$ one could zoom in on areas that result in the best improvement and amongst the list of tasks u mentioned, gaming would benefit better with some grunt in the GPU dept ^^

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

m
l
November 27, 2010 10:53:08 AM

Ok, very good to know. I have one last question, how future proof am I with the build you gave me? I would like to, if possible, have a bit of wiggle room for upgrade in the future. Again, thank you for all your help.
m
l
November 27, 2010 12:54:29 PM

The mobo is able to take another similar GPU for better frames and you could also hit an after market cooler and clock away ^^
m
l
!