Sign in with
Your question

Need a single slot nvidia card for physx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2010 5:21:01 AM

ello guys,

im looking for a single slot nvidia card for physx, one that could fit between my other card and psu, so it should fit into a single slot even with its cooling solution (may it be passive or active cooled, i dont really care).

1. does it matter what generation the card is (the physx one) ? i know that the gtx400 series goes along just fine with the gtx200 series but other than that i dont know.

2. i would prefer a newer card only because it would/should be easyer to find, but i would buy any card belonging to any series as long as i can find it. i know about the Galaxy GeForce GTX 260+ Razor Edition, problem is i cant find a retailer who is still selling it.

thx for the help!
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 4, 2010 7:08:24 AM

An 8600GT or higher can be used as a PhysX card.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 4, 2010 7:19:42 AM

There are single slot 9800GTs. Probably the best you are gunna do. I wouldn't bother personally unless you are going to be playing the 5 or so games where physx actually matters a LOT.
Related resources
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 4, 2010 9:35:50 AM

I think the base "good" PhysX card is an old 9800GT or the GT240. Anything much weaker then that won't be able to handle the high setting. The GTS250/GTX260 is the highest you'd want to go.
October 4, 2010 4:35:38 PM

I'm using 9800gtx+ and it enables me to max out physx. However, after play and beat Batman and Mafia 2 there's really no reason to keep the card in your box. It does absolutely nothing.
October 5, 2010 12:31:09 AM

thx for all the replies, but which one of all these cards are actually 1 slot cards ? thats the important part, finding one that fits into a single slot (fan/cooler included)
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 5, 2010 12:41:44 AM

The problem with a single slot 9800gt is that they run fairly hot even at idle and the GT240 is said to only perform like that of a 9600gt which is hard to believe. The old Best in slot card for physx used to be the 9600gt before they became rare so be sure to have plenty of air flow for your cards or they will overheat.
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 5, 2010 6:18:27 AM

Aren't there some single slot GTS250s? I would think that would be the fastest.
October 5, 2010 6:23:06 AM

i would think the same, problem is finding those 1 slot versions :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 5:57:55 PM

I haven't seen a single slot 250 other than a few that have been modded, a 9800GT should be good enough for the OP unless he is running anything higher than 1080p.

The 240 has 96 sp's vs the 9800GT which has 112 sp's, IMO the 240 will not cut it for flawless physX unless running a very low res @ 1024x 768 or lower (witch I doubt the OP will be using).

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 5, 2010 6:02:47 PM

Does resolution affect how much processing power is needed for physx calculations? I wouldn't have thought so.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 6:33:26 PM

jyjjy said:
Does resolution affect how much processing power is needed for physx calculations? I wouldn't have thought so.

Well that's to be disputed since I also thought that resolution didn't have any affect whatsoever but I went ahead and tested Mirror's Edge with a Power-Color 5850 + BFG 9600GT @ 1024 and 1080p and noticed some physX lag at higher resolutions with all settings cranked up. At lower resolutions everything was butter no matter what was going on. IDK I might be wrong, it might have been something else causing the lag. Sadly I didn't have enough time to test that system, but it would be nice if someone else could give us some answers on this specific topic just to clear things up.
October 5, 2010 6:42:15 PM

I guess for me, I don't know how you'd tell where the lag was coming from (physx or just regular), but I'm inclined to say that it was due to physx + higher resolution, because your 5850 would have no problems maxing out the game otherwise.

I'll check my Batman settings tonight and get back with some results. I didn't realize that Mirror's Edge used physx, so I'll have to try it. Is there a benchmark tool or do you just have to play the game?
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 6:48:15 PM

nativeson8803 said:
I guess for me, I don't know how you'd tell where the lag was coming from (physx or just regular), but I'm inclined to say that it was due to physx + higher resolution, because your 5850 would have no problems maxing out the game otherwise.

I'll check my Batman settings tonight and get back with some results. I didn't realize that Mirror's Edge used physx, so I'll have to try it. Is there a benchmark tool or do you just have to play the game?

I played the game, not sure if there is a bench or not.

Make sure you hit F5 to skip the ads ;) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xRJt8rcmY
October 5, 2010 7:05:09 PM

Nice!

Wow, there's a big difference in aesthetic. Too bad nvidia can't get their $#&@ together and implement physx in some more games. I'll have to install it tonight- bought it from D2D almost a year ago for 5$. =D

For me, Physx is even more disappointing since I have a board that only support crossfire, thus making it impossible to add a second video card for SLI (and I'm not really interested in buying a new mobo for this 775 setup). So at first I was happy to have the ability to use my old 9800gtx+ for Physx only to find out that it's pretty much a gimmick and of no use outside of Mafia 2 (no interested) Batman (played through) and not much else.

!