Purchased a Dell and needing some knowledgable advice

Adaleon

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hey all,

First time posting here so take it easy on my lack of knowledge for posting my question, may be in the wrong location. Basically I was in dire need of a laptop after my hp pavillion dv5 series of two years died "again" so I went straight to dell cause I had heard some good reviews and consumer reports had been fairly uplifting as well but after purchasing my laptop last night dell then uploaded their new line of laptops and components with sandy bride core i7 processors and frankly I feel I may have been a little cheated so I am thinking of changing my order and wanting to ask for knowledge of which direction to go from all of you. Here is the specs of the one I purchased.

XPS 15

Intel Core i5-560M 2.66GHz / up to SC 3.2GHz / 3M

6GB,DDR3,2 DIMM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M 1GB graphics with Optimus

640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

15.6 FHD TLF B+RGLED LCD L501X

8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3

92 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Those are the main components not including extras that I bought. Here are the specs that would change if I purchased again

XPS 15

Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30 GHz

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus

15.6 FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) and Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam

JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

In reality the only things that will be changing are my CPU my GPU and the sound a little bit, I don't believe the changed monitor names means anything since it said they were both 1080p. But I am trying to fit this to my needs and that is where you all hopefully come in! I am planning on using this mainly as a School PC and come november and maybe sooner I plan on using it for Diablo 3 and some photo editing and maybe some steam games as well. I know the GPU would make a huge difference but on the previous system I ordered the 2gb was not an option but for my uses that I plan am I sincerely going to miss the sandybridge processor if I choose the I5? and then also what kind of difference in power consumption be since I know the "sandy" has a TDP of 45 on Benchmarks where as the i5 has a 35 TDP. Any suggestions and help are GREATLY appreciated thanks everyone! I have been out of the tech side of PCs for a bit so a lot of this is new to me. Naturally I want the biggest bang for my buck, but the newer version is close to 500 dollars more! but at the same time I want efficiency and a laptop that is not going to constantly give me issues and heartaches like this damned hp has...especially battery issues!!! plus overheating cause of the poorly designed AMD Turion...this thing gets so hot lol. Thanks again!

-Joe

Adaleon

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
didn't really have a budget per say but the original build was close to 1500$ while the next build was just shy of 1900 without shipping and tax added would be about 2k after tax and shipping. if you had another suggestion of a company to go through that could be awesome.

Adaleon

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Yea sorry should have made it a little more clear, I have ordered the original dell and saw the newer upgrade get posted the other night. I am wondering if it would be advisable to change the order to the newer one while it is still in production so that I would not have to send it back and then reorder?

Adaleon

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Yea that's pretty much where I stand as well especially with the upcoming Diablo 3 and Elder Scrolls Skyrim releases. I don't plan on gaming on it as much as I use to but it would be nice to have that extra GPU bump :p

Adaleon

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Yea I cancelled the Dell order and had it credited back to me, like you said there are MUCH better choices out there for a school/closet gamer laptop the Asus G53 is a good example of that everything I wanted in the dell yet more room for upgraded ram better cpu and gpu and etc...less side on the accidental warranty but I'm gonna browse a bit more I think.

Adaleon

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I went with my final breaking point being at 1500$ I went with the Asus g53 build...may lack a little bit in battery life but it had everything I wanted+ but for a cheaper price tag from anything I could price with toshiba or dell or hp (never buying again) and etc.

That Dell is good but it has a glossy reflective screen from what I know. The Asus needs to be recharged often, that's the downside of a powerful laptop. Not many other options in term of new models, Alienware M17x - 17" heavy, needs a big adapter, MSI GT660R - bad screen.

Here's a bigger one
http://www.amazon.com/G73JW-A1-Republic-Gamers-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B0041RRS0I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1298524607&sr=8-3

Anti-glare film for laptops, available in some places, here's one:
http://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=ASUS-G-Series&Product_Code=MXH-5290-01

TRENDING THREADS