New Hard Drive decreases performance?

jaguarmatt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Well, I went out of my way on friday to buy a Caviar Black 1TB hard drive to be the primary drive in my computer rather than my 5400rpm 1TB Caviar Green.

There is NO performance increase, the drive is extremely loud when loading anything, (I know it can be switched to bypass/quite but that will decrease performance even more) and Windows experience marks it with a 5.9, the same as my Caviar Green.

Perhaps I am missing some software, or is this drive not worth the money I paid?
I am currently typing to you with it being my primary drive, but I don't think it will stay there for long.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Solution
Single HDD's wont go over 5.9 on windows scale. If your raid 2 of them in 0 you'll get 6.0. The only way to go higher is with an ssd. You should see a slight increase in boot up times, program start ups, etc etc. But dont expect anything huge. The benefit will be very slight and hardly noticeable.

Im not sure about the noise, it might be defective if its making unusual noises, but ive dont have experiences with the caviar hdd's so i cant tell you what theyre supposed to sound like.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Single HDD's wont go over 5.9 on windows scale. If your raid 2 of them in 0 you'll get 6.0. The only way to go higher is with an ssd. You should see a slight increase in boot up times, program start ups, etc etc. But dont expect anything huge. The benefit will be very slight and hardly noticeable.

Im not sure about the noise, it might be defective if its making unusual noises, but ive dont have experiences with the caviar hdd's so i cant tell you what theyre supposed to sound like.

Solution

jaguarmatt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I reinstalled my graphics driver and it's actually a lot faster lol

Thanks for your input bavman, didn't know that. Kinda regret buying it, but I guess it was still a good deal for $60.

Anyone have one of these and can tell me if theirs is loud?