Sign in with
Your question

How does this rig look?

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2010 12:06:00 PM

After going through I don't know how many fourms, I've finally found the hardware that works best for me. Before I go out and buy it, I just want to triple check with you guys. I have an Antec Sonata II case, would all of this fit into it? I have also been told that my ATX Ultra V series 500w PSU is the worst power supply out there, however I've had it for 2 years and have had no problems. I don't think it would make any sense to go out and buy a new one then, right?

Graphics: SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Total is $481.96

More about : rig

November 27, 2010 12:46:26 PM

Drop the chip to a 955 and make sure you put your ram in the right sockets, or it will be restricted to 1333Mhz,
and yes, fork out on a decent psu
Moto
m
l
November 27, 2010 12:52:57 PM

I would have gone with earthwatts 650, because 500 watts is the minimum, and a lot of power supplies are over rated. you might have enough power to start it, just check it out and see. what does the power supply label say? is the rating really 500 watts continuous?
and you will want as many fans as will fit in the case, even if they are running on 5 volts slow speed. The cooler that is included with the 965 BOX edition works OK, but the fan is small diameter and a little noisy. maybe you should add a little cooler master 90 mm fan cooler?
but the board is a good choice and i thinks you will be fine with that setup.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2010 1:50:46 PM

I'm guessing this is gonna be a gaming system. It's very difficult to advise without knowing your budget, resolution and what games you wanna play at what settings.

If you're not planning on running CPU intensive apps like matlab, R etc, drop the CPU down to a Rana 450 and get a GTX 4xx or even a Radeon 6xxx depending on your budget if you're on 1920x1080. If not, then the 5770 will do plenty alright for most games. Some games do like Nvidia better than Radeon though.

Any case, slightly faster G.Skill RAM for $7 extra- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

As for the Ultra PSU, why fix something that ain't broke? But then again there will be enough people on this forum & beyond telling you to get a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, CoolerMaster etc. & I can't say I totally disagree with 'em.
m
l
November 27, 2010 4:42:18 PM

Alright sounds good. I will be playing intensive games, such as Star Trek Online, Crysis etc. Motopsychojdn, what do you mean by putting the RAM into the right sockets?
m
l
November 27, 2010 6:15:47 PM

C&P from the link you posted on the Mobo, overview tab
**DDR3 1866(OC)/1333/1066 *To reach DDR3 1866MHz or above, you must install two memory modules and install them in the DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 memory sockets**

seems like you must use those two slots specifically to get your 1600Mhz or your limited to 1333Mhz ram speed, in which case save your money and just buy 1333,
Moto
m
l
November 27, 2010 6:54:09 PM

Crysis is a GPU intensive game but not so Star Trek Online. On medium settings at 1920x1080, you will prolly get decent fps.

Star Trek Online Benchmarks (DX10)-

Crysis Benchmarks (DX10)-

On a lower resolution on medium settings, you might get decent fps but not so on higher res. Not with the 5770.
m
l
November 28, 2010 1:49:39 AM

I know this is a silly question, but where do I go check to see what resolution I use? I think I have an idea what it is but I'm not sure. :D 
m
l
November 28, 2010 4:06:18 AM

You go in the Settings and then you find a tab called Video or Graphics. Then resolution will be clearly labelled. Can't miss it.
m
l
November 28, 2010 10:43:04 AM

Win 7- Right click on desktop wallpaper>Screen Resolution.

Or for list view- Control Panel>Display>Screen Resolution
For category view- Control Panel>Appearance & personalization>Adjust screen resolution

Win Vista- Right Click on Your Desktop>Personalize>Display Settings>Resolution

Win XP- Right click on desktop wallpaper>Properties>Settings>Screen Resolution

Normally for newish LCD Monitors, it'll be 1366x768 for 18.5", 1600x900 for 20" & 1920x1080 for 21.5" onwards for 16:9 aspect ratio ones. Older ones will have lower resolutions.
m
l
November 28, 2010 11:26:09 AM

Haha oh jeez, that probably explains why I have a 1024x768 resolution :p  Down the road, I'll probably be getting a new LCD monitor. So which graphics card should I get? I want to keep the budget below $500.
m
l
November 28, 2010 6:06:07 PM

For 1024x768 even a 5770 will be a little OTT. But nonetheless depending on your preference for Radeon/Nvidia, get a Radeon HD 5770 or a GTS 450 for your current monitor.

If you're likely to upgrade soon, your gfx card choice will depend on your budget, resolution and what games you wanna play on what settings.

I think the 5770 will be decent enough choice under most circumstances for a 100-150 dollar range. But you can only decide on that definitively once you've zeroed in on a monitor.
m
l
November 28, 2010 7:38:34 PM

Hmm okay. Lets say I wanted to play all the newest games (Including Star Trek Online) on the highest settings and best possible resolution on a new monitor (Your preference on a good). Which card (Either ATI and Nvidiva are fine) and monitor would be the best for a $500 budget?
m
l
November 30, 2010 12:18:42 AM

$500 for only gfx card & Monitor, or Monitor+comp (including gfx card)?

"Best possible resolution" monitors (2560x1440/1600) cost well in excess of $1000.

HP 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor

For lesser mortals, depending on your preference of aspect ratio, maybe look at a 23 odd inch 1920x1080/1200 one from LG/Samsung/Asus/Acer etc.

$180 LG 23" 16:9 1080p LCD Monitor

Best gfx card option if your total card+Monitor budget is 500- $400 EVGA GeForce GTX 480

Even better, if your PSU allows for it - 650 watts 80+ min 50+amps on the +12V rail(s) - SLI 2 GTX 460's for an even better performance for the same cost.

2X $180 EVGA GeForce GTX 460

Tota cost- $180+360=$540. If you were to actually go with this set-up, you wont need to upgrade for a long time to come to be able to play almost all games on high to very high settings.

Recommended PSU for this set-up- $55 Antec EarthWatts EA750

For your original budget, you can get a single GTX 460. Will perform significantly better in most games compared to the 5770 especially if you were to upgrade your monitor.
m
l
November 30, 2010 12:43:38 AM

I need to stay with my original budget, as much as I would love to buy that $1000 monitor. :)  It comes down to the Nvidia GTX 460, or the ATI Radeon 5770. I currently have a Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS, and I've always had BSOD's for the past year due to a infinite loop of errors, mainly caused by the nv_4.disp. So my trust in Nvidia at this point is low. Is there a comparison chart of the 5770 and GTX 460?
m
l
November 30, 2010 5:34:27 PM

Better to go with the 1GB version for just a few bucks extra - www.anandtech.com.

See if installing the latest drivers can help you with your BSODs- Do you have the Nvidia driver disk for your 7600GS? If not, go to htttp://www.nvidia.com and download the driver first.

Once you have the driver file, go into safe mode and remove the already installed older Nvidia driver from the add/remove software list under your control panel. Re-start the computer. Upon re-boot, the system should recognize the video card as new unknown hardware and ask you for the driver file for it. Just browse, then double-click on the file or put the driver disc in. Install the driver, re-start again and you should be good to go. If not, let me know.

P.S- I can give you the link to the latest driver to your 7600GS if you can say what operating system you're running- example- Windows XP 32 bit/Windows 7 64 bit etc. (Version not important)

To check whether you're running 32 or 64 bit-

XP- Right-click My Computer, then click Properties, then look on the General tab. If it doesn't say 64-bit, you're running 32-bit.

Vista/7- Right-click Computer, then click Properties. Under System/System Type, you'll see whether you're running 32 or 64 bit windows.
m
l
December 1, 2010 12:03:11 AM

you're better off to just go to the sapphire 6850 instead of the sapphire 5770. :-) GTX aren't worth it.
m
l
December 1, 2010 12:41:30 AM

why would a "gtx not be worth it" they are 1 of the best bang for the buck GPU's out there that perform very well.
m
l
December 1, 2010 4:15:05 AM

^+1. A 6850 costs significantly higher than a 5770. $200 vs $120. They are not in the same category. But compare the GTX 460 1GB vs the 6850 1GB, and the 460 comes up trumps in terms of the price performance ratio IMO. Add to that they are cheaper and scale so well in SLI, they just make better sense IMO.

As for the 768 MB, you'll have to OC it to get performance that's equivalent of the 1GB version. OC'ed versions will consume more power.

The thing that can be said in favor of the 6850 (and indeed Radeons in general) is that they're comparatively frugal while consuming power. A 6850 consumes around 130W at load, a stock 460 is around 160W load, a highly OC'ed 460 can get up to 190 odd on full load.

While 30 watt is not major, 60-65W is a whole tier up for roughly the same tier performance, and highly OC'ed components, even if cooled well, will degrade faster than a stock card and will have a shorter life-span.

So avoid the 768MB edition, it will be capped by the narrow bandwidth (192bit) or its smaller frame buffer in the near future.

The board you've chosen is not a real xfire board and with a Nvidia GPU, you won't need a 2nd PCIEx16 slot anyways (without some driver patch, that is). So get the $75 ASRock 770 EXTREME3 and save $25 in the process.

RAM and GPU look perfect :) 

P.S- Which PSU are you getting? The one that I suggested has 2x 6pin PCIE connectors. You'll need that for your 460.

EDIT: Slightly higher clocked GPU for same price- ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB
m
l
December 2, 2010 5:36:10 PM

For the PSU, I'm keeping my ATX 500W Ultra Series.
m
l
December 3, 2010 3:06:20 AM

For now, with single everything, 500 watts should suffice.
m
l
December 3, 2010 3:45:05 AM

It looks pretty good to me.
m
l
December 4, 2010 12:28:00 PM

Woops forgot to reply back.

Thanks for everyone for their help, I probably would of went ahead with that Radeon 5770 if I didn't ask :p 

Here is the final hardware once again:

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (I'm going with this because if I decide later down the road to get another graphics card, I'd want to have that 2nd PCIEx16 slot)

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb

Graphics Card: ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Total is $528.96 after Rebate
m
l
December 4, 2010 3:16:59 PM

you cant SLI with that board without hacking it.
+ the 2nd pci-e slot runs at x4 which is no good for a GPU.

1st off your gonna want to switch boards if your going to want a 2 card setup eventually.
and the only way to SLI with AMD is hack the board or get an old board with an nforce chipset.
I'd suggeting a new mobo that runs at least 8x8x and switching to a AMD card, radeon 6850 or 6870.
m
l
December 4, 2010 8:40:05 PM

On second thought, I think I'm just going to stick with that one GTX 460. If I did that, would everything be compatible with each other?
m
l
December 5, 2010 4:32:47 AM

vindictive said:
you cant SLI with that board without hacking it.

I'd suggeting switching to a AMD card, radeon 6850 or 6870.
He'd said he was going with the 5770. The last time I checked, that was Radeon too. ;) 

If he ever needs xfire, 16/4 is a bad idea. But at his resolution, anything more than a single 5770 will be a huge overkill IMO.
m
l
December 5, 2010 5:49:51 AM

^ look right above my last posts. That's him saying gtx 460..
m
l
December 5, 2010 12:15:30 PM

vindictive said:
^ look right above my last posts. That's him saying gtx 460..
Yups
sickness335 said:
... would everything be compatible with each other?
Yups to that too as far as compatibility is concerned but if you're thinking of a dual GPU set-up later on, 1. It'll be of no use to you without a Nvidia chipset and 2. 16/4 xfire is no good anyways.

Get the $74 ASUS M4A79XTD EVO if you want a proper xfire board or the $95 ASRock 870 EXTREME3 for a more future proof xfire board.

For a SLI board however, you'll need the $100 ASUS M4N75TD Motherboard

Or you'll need a driver patch to do that for you on an AMD chipset mobo - SLI Patch 0.9B (XP/Vista/7 x86 & x64) - The hack is 'bout as difficult as double clicking your mouse. While it didn't seem to support the GTX460s when they came out, as far as I know it does now - you can always check :) 

SLI for drivers 258.xx is needed for the gtx 460. The 258 drivers defo improved the 460 by a large margin in SLI. It tricks the Nvidia control panel into thinking you have a Nvidia approved SLI chipset.

Using the patch is very easy. There is no need to mess with strings, decrypting values, and modifying windows registry to run SLI any more. All these work done in the background automatically in the latest version of the tool.

1. Download.
2. Unpack it to some directory on your hard drive. For Windows 7 disable UAC.
3. Run command prompt (Run>cmd) with administrator rights (left click "Run as Administrator")
4. Go to directory with patch and run InstallSLI.cmd.
5. The tool will report "SLI patch installed" Hopefully :) 
6. Reboot.
7. During boot there will be "extra OS" selection, marked "SLI enabled". This is the one to use with the SLI patch active.
9. System should run SLI now, until the BIOS is updated or the motherboard is changed.

Check w/ Kombustor or Furmark multi-GPU and confirm w/ afterburner that both cards are loading in 90%+

To run the SLI-patched-system always - just set default OS and delay in System Properties > Advanced System Settings > Startup and Recovery [Settings] > Default operating system and Time to display list of operating systems [uncheck]. Or just download Easy BCD 2.0.2 to set default OS and/or to play around with your bootloader.
m
l
December 5, 2010 1:05:40 PM

An idea just sparked into my head :D  I have an Geforce 7600 GS right now, would I be able to duel that with the GTX 460 if I got the ASRock 870 EXTREME3 ? And if so, would it improve GPU overall performance?

Edit: After posting I just realized that my infinite loop of errors could be caused by my aging 7600. So forget duel video carding with it, but would it be possible?

And I'm wondering the same with my current monitor if I were to get a new one down the road. Preferably the LG 23" 16:9 1080p LCD Monitor
m
l
December 5, 2010 2:09:48 PM

sickness335 said:
I have an Geforce 7600 GS right now, would I be able to duel that with the GTX 460 if I got the ASRock 870 EXTREME3 ?
No. For SLI, you need the same GPU. You can mix and match different manufacturers, memory sizes, core clock frequencies, overclocked and non oc'ed ones, but not different GPU's. The Graphics Processing Unit (or the GPU) itself has to be the same. That is, a 7600 GS has to go with a 7600 GS and a GTX 460 has to go with a GTX 460 (1GB or 768MB doesn't matter, Asus or EVGA doesn't matter).

You can however use 2 monitors together, but I think 2 different sized ones will be a bit weird (if that's what you're asking). I don't even know if they can run at different resolutions though. You might have to reduce the resolution of the larger one. Not really sure. Somebody else will clear that up maybe.

Important: Please read my last post. I've painstakingly explained for you as to why you'll need different boards for different usage and different GPU configurations. Also explained is what you need to do to run dual Nvidia cards on an AMD chipset mobo or the Nvidia chipset mobo that I linked you to.

Here's the basic deal- You can run both SLI (Nvidia speak for running 2 Nvidia cards with the same GPU) and Crossfire (Radeon speak for running 2 Radeons with the same GPU) on Intel boards. Basically, you can do anything with 'em.

But on AMD boards, you can only run Crossfire if you want to run a dual gfx card configuration or go with a single Nvidia gfx card.

Until that is, you run that patch that I linked you to. A general AMD chipset board will then allow SLI - 2 Nvidia Cards with the same GPU. Crossfire will still be natively supported anyways.

P.S: You can mix and match GPU's as well, but for that, you need Lucid’s HydraLogix technology, which is a chip that allows the use of different multiple GPUs in one system. In English that translates to the MSI 870A Fuzion. This will allow for that to happen. Say, you'll be able to run a system with a 5770 and a GTX 460 :) . It's best run with 2 similarly powered cards though, to maximize the performance of the more powerful card. 5770+GTS 450 or 5850+GTX 460.
m
l
December 5, 2010 6:04:02 PM

Yeah your right about the 2 different seized monitors, they'd look pretty weird :p  I don't think I'll get another GTX 460 in the future, or any GPU for that matter unless I absolutely need too.

To be honest I'm getting a bit confused as I'm not that experienced with the computer field. I can use the motherboard I picked out with the one GTX 460 right? There wouldn't be any conflict of sorts?
m
l
December 5, 2010 6:19:34 PM

Yes, as I've already said, a single GTX 460 is compatible with the GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 in your link :) . So as long as you're not looking to get yourself another card, don't even bother.

Get that board along with the AMD 965, the G.Skill RAM, the Asus GTX 460 and keep your Ultra 500 watt PSU & the Antec Sonata.

What are you doing about the Hard disk and DVD drive? Are you getting the new Full HD monitor too?
m
l
December 5, 2010 6:25:44 PM

BTW: Using this "patch" voids warranty doesn't it?
m
l
December 5, 2010 6:51:09 PM

sickness335 said:
Yes I'm sorry I just noticed that. :)  I have a DVD and CD drive, and a Terabyte hard drive. I may get the LG 23" 16:9 1080p LCD Monitor but I'm so sure yet.
@ sickness335 - Make sure you have an extra IDE connector if your DVD/CD drives are both IDE and you're planning to install both. Your mobo will most probably come with just 1. You need not get it now though. If you need it, get it from your local store. Costs just a buck or 2.

The board will come with 2+ SATA connectors. So you need not worry too much 'bout that. The HDD is surely SATA. I don't think they ever made 1TB IDE drives.

@ vindictive - I really have no idea. I wouldn't think so. But even if it were to be the case, that'll happen only if they get to know. And they've no way of actually knowing it now, do they? :p  .

With this piece of software, you're just fooling the Operating system into believing that the board indeed is a Nvidia chipset one, so that it reads both the GPU's instead of just 1. The requisite data is injected into the OS before the boot process. I dunno, but I think that the algorithm might not be too different from Daz's loader, which injects a SLIC before boot, that fools Windows into thinking that your Mobo is an OEM one.
m
l
December 7, 2010 9:35:54 PM

Alright sounds good. I have an extra IDE connector or two so it's not a problem. One final check: everything looks alright? I'll probably be ordering tomorrow.
m
l
December 8, 2010 3:29:00 AM

sickness335 said:
Here is the final hardware once again:

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (I'm going with this because if I decide later down the road to get another graphics card, I'd want to have that 2nd PCIEx16 slot)

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb

Graphics Card: ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Total is $528.96 after Rebate

One final check: everything looks alright? I'll probably be ordering tomorrow.
Looks pretty good to me :)  But you do realize that you wont be able to add a second card in this set-up under normal circumstances, right?

The GTX 460 is powerful enough not to warrant a dual GPU set-up for most regular gamers unless you're fanatical 'bout the most minute of detailing for the most ridiculously demanding games.

Especially, now that you're upgrading from a 7600GS, the difference in gonna be pretty enormous.

That being the case, you can save some money & get the $75 ASRock 770 EXTREME3 Motherboard.

Nobody gets a $100+ board if he's not looking to spend a large amount of his time in the BIOS. If you're just looking to run a stable, reliable value-for-money set-up to play games on very decent settings, I really don't see the reason to get a fairly expensive mobo for the purpose.
m
l
December 12, 2010 1:09:57 PM

Thank you everyone, for helping me :)  I ordered all the parts from Newegg and should be arriving a day or so from now :D 

I have $250 to spend on a new monitor, should I go with the LG E2350V-SN ?
m
l
December 12, 2010 6:32:33 PM

If a single HDMI and Television style 16:9 widescreen display is what you need, then that is definitely the one to go for. (No built-in speakers)

You can do much worse than LG/Samsung :) 
m
l
December 14, 2010 11:30:11 PM

Hehe okay :)  By the way, so far I've received the processor (Its right next to me as I'm typing :p )
m
l
December 15, 2010 5:01:49 AM

Google the numbers on it, just for fun
learn a bit about it before you put it under your H.s and dont have the chance to :) 
Moto
m
l
December 20, 2010 10:12:48 PM

I have received all of the parts, and I have yet to put it together. I'll be putting it together tonight hopefully. Just a question, how does this monitor compare with the LG E2350V-SN? LG M2362D-PM
m
l
December 21, 2010 12:04:03 AM

From what I can see, the one in your link has an extra HDMI port and a built-in TV tuner. Won't be of any importance if you don't wanna use that.

The one in my original link consumes half the amount of power and has a better contrast ratio.

Potato - Potahtoh. But if you do plan to convert your PC into an entertainment hub someday, getting the PM will prolly be the way to go. But then again, you might in that case need a PCIe TV-Tuner card. The built-in ones do the job, but are not the greatest from my experiences.

In any case, it makes more sense to get a Digital Media Hub to turn your Television into full fledged entertainment center than the other way 'round.

^Plays almost any Audio/Video/Picture format under the sun.

Streams from Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Flickr. You name it.
m
l
!