Can my graphics card underperform because of low psu?

logdirects181

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
i have cheap 550watt psu......it has 18A on 12V rail.stats tell that it's enough psu but i have a feeling that my gpu is underperforming because of psu........my system runs fine in general but graphics card is not performing to it's fullest.,is it possible that gpu is being underperformed by psu,and i'm sure that it's NOT because of cpu or RAM or MOBO beacuse thay are high end in comparison to GPU.MY GPU is sapphire hd 5670....so can the psu do it?also don't consider that other components are sucking power because all components are of low power usage including cpu......my system runs fine but gpu don't perform to fullest actually is quite underperforming.....can it be the psu.......i'm asking this because i have heard that low psu also shows other symptoms but there are no other symptoms in my case......please answer.......

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
If you give us the PSU model and wattage statement, we can see, as it maybe, it maybe not.

It could be drivers, CPU bottleneck, motherboard drivers, PSU, faulty card...

It could be linked to a few things, not just a PSU

"it's intel c2duo e4500 2.2ghz.want it to 2.6ghz
i have intel dg33fb motherboard......
i don't want to replace cpu cooler.let it be the stock one.
have 2gb kingston ram
have enough psu.....
so is 400mhz something bad with stock cooler and my motherboard......
let me give you motherboard link:
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dg33fb/dg33fb-overview.htm

if link doesn't work,just enter intel dg33fb in google and first result is mine one......"

I think thats your configuration, asking the same question twice in different words is not going to help... :(

This is not a high end system, you firstly need to upgrade you Mobo and RAM if you want to see any change in the specs while gaming.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Did I miss reading the config? or did you just change that post?

I second alyoshka's comment, you are not likely to be having any issue due to the PSU and the motherboard or ram upgrade would be a place to start to see some performance increase. You are by no way taxing a 500W PSU.