Another New Video Card Thread

dm0kk

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Hey guys,

Basically I'm looking for a new video card to replace my ancient HD3870. I've narrowed it down to possibly a 260, 460 or 5770 as they seem to fall into my price range. Should I wait a few weeks for the HD6000 series to come out because I'm expecting a price drop on other cards... or do you guys think it will make a negligible difference? What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next few weeks hopefully.

BUDGET: ~$150 CAD

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Looking to run SC2 on Max settings @ 1920x1080. Possibly other games in the future..

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: HD3870 w/ Antec EarthWatts 500W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: C2D E8400, P4QL Pro, 4Gb DDR2

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Canadian Sites ... ncix/newegg.ca

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

Get a 5770 and overclock it. It should do just fine in SC2 with Ultra quality, but probably not so much if you try and force high AA or AF. You certainly can't max out more demanding games, but you should be able to run them at High, and drop a few down to medium, without AA or AF. It's a good upgrade over your single 3870 though since it will be about twice as fast.

Nvidia will be dropping the prices on their GTX460 768mb in mid-October to counter the release of the new AMD cards. Prices have been dropping on the GTX460 recently to ~$175 US. With the pending price drop, they should reach your $150 price range. Try to wait a couple weeks to see what the bargains are, but a GTX460 should be your best option.