Most Reliable 24GB RAM Asus Rampage III Extreme?

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hello,

Looking to buy the most reliable and compatible 24GB RAM for the Asus Rampage III Extreme?.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
RAmpage III does support 24 gb.

Check everything is set to the advertised specs on the BIOS, then download and run memtest 86+ and make at least 5 passes, if both BIOS and memtest detect 24gb fine and it's stable then it's only a windows-related problem.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Here is the tricky question when it comes to the Asus Rampage III Extreme it says:

It does Support 24 GB. But here is what i found under Asus Rampage III Extreme Manual:

( Due to Intel Spec Definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only ).

What's your take on that?

Thanks again for your prompt response.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Here is the tricky question when it comes to the Asus Rampage III Extreme it says:

It does Support 24 GB. But here is what i found under Asus Rampage III Extreme Manual:

( Due to Intel Spec Definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only ).

What's your take on that?

Thanks again for your prompt response

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
That's interesting, this thread seems to comply: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t308357.html

Seems it is possible, but most of the time it works with 6 sticks neverthless. Try the memtest thing and check BIOS for 24gb detection.

Worst case scenario( if the sticks are not defective) is you'll have to set them to 1333 instead, but then it'll allow you to set tighter latency, most of those sticks can do 1333 cas 7 without any more voltage, which is actualy faster than 1600 cas 9.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Yes it is quite interesting due to those Intel Specifications it is not recommended to use a 24GB X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600.

I'm assuming Intel has it's reasons for this particular case. But many individuals outhere who purchased 24GB DDR3 1600 are pretty quick to tweaking the voltage among other things in the BIOS system and surely they are able to achieve the 24GB in the BIOS System and Windows but once again It's NOT Recommended by Intel primarily because in the long term it will damage & decrease the life of many of the components within the motherboard.

I have to agree with you purchasing a 24GB and running these under 1333 is the best thing to do in terms of stability and durability.

Thanks again for your feedback!.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
I've read the Intel CPU Specs and this is what i found....

( According To The Intel CPU Spec,DIMMS with voltage requirement over 1.65v may damage the CPU Permanently. We recommend you install the DIMMs with the voltage requirement below 1.65.)

What is your take on that?