Motherboard bios crashed, can't reset it?

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
XFX nForce 680iLT Motherboard

Was trying to disable hyper threading on a pentum extreme 965 edition cpu to reduce heat generation a little. And when I saved and restarted, it no longer posts. It doesn't even display video. Doesn't even flash the keyboard lights...

Tried using the jumpers, no success. Tried removing battery, no success. tried using jumped AND removing battery for 4 hours, put battery back in put jumpers back, no success. Tried doing the jumpers and starting the system in the clear_cmos position, then shut down and returned jumpers, and then (and only then) I saw a glimpse of success, which was a corrupt post screen, corrupt video. Restarted, and didn't see anything.

Tried with 4 different known working video cards, nothing happening.

Tried with 2 different known working cpus.

tried with 2 different known working sets of ram.

tried with different hard drives, and no hard drives.

Any suggestions? Or is this motherboard toast (doubtful, since I had it working perfectly before I attempted to disable hyper threading)?

I'm confused as hell...

Removing the battery is not guaranteed to clear the CMOS memory, on some motherboards the CMOS memory can keep its charge for days. Always clear the CMOS memory with the clear CMOS link on the motherboard with the mains cable DISCONECTED Failure to disconnect the power lead can damage the motherboard that will stop the computer from booting. The manufacturers of the motherboard provide the clear CMOS link for a reason.
Are you sure that you have moved the correct link? Recheck the documentation.

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010

Yep, I'm sure I used the right clear_cmos. I did get it finally, using the clear_cmos jumper as well as removing battery for 30 minutes finally worked.

Dunno why it's so annoying, but it is. :/ w/e

TRENDING THREADS