Cpu heat & fan max speed

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
hey i just built my first machine and love it, i ran a stress test just cause i'm learning all this stuff, just to check it out.
now my cpu fan is idle at 900rpm with a cpu temp of 24 and when under full load it is stable at 46c and 1300 rpm, now i'm thinking that if the fan can say go 4000 or more shouldn't i be able to overlcock without any more fans or cooling devices just a little bit

Solution
I think you would be able to OC it up to 3 - 3.2 Ghz, or even 3.5Ghz (depending on temps i might go higher, i just wont risk raising the voltage too much with a stock cooler >.< ). But first of all and most important, before you start messing with the bios, learn what does what in your bios and read some overclocking guides for core 2 duos, so you dont damage your cpu. Intel says you shouldnt raise your voltage beyond 1.3625V, i wouldnt dare to go near that with stock cooling. :D You should find all this stuff about raising FSB and voltage in the guides .
About the fan max speed - i dont think it really matters for the stock cooler, if you kick it up nomatter how far you wont get better cooling, you`ll only make your system louder :D

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Well first of all you can tell us what is your CPU so we can tell you how far you can overclock it :) Anyways, with the stock cooler you cant do a big overclock, when you raise the voltage your temps will jump, and the stock heatsink just doesnt let the heat go anyware. If you plan on making a stable overclock it is recommended to get an aftermarket cooler [CM hyper 212 + is the best bang for the buck IMO).Think about it, If you could OC with your stock cooler why would people even invent watercooling ;)

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
yeah i was not thinking of intense over clocking, E5400, i'm playing around and over time i want to build something much better and then i will at least have some experience, yeah i know stock coolers aren't very good, just wanna learn

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I think you would be able to OC it up to 3 - 3.2 Ghz, or even 3.5Ghz (depending on temps i might go higher, i just wont risk raising the voltage too much with a stock cooler >.< ). But first of all and most important, before you start messing with the bios, learn what does what in your bios and read some overclocking guides for core 2 duos, so you dont damage your cpu. Intel says you shouldnt raise your voltage beyond 1.3625V, i wouldnt dare to go near that with stock cooling. :D You should find all this stuff about raising FSB and voltage in the guides .
About the fan max speed - i dont think it really matters for the stock cooler, if you kick it up nomatter how far you wont get better cooling, you`ll only make your system louder :D

Solution

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
are you saying 3Ghz - 3.2 for stock cooler, or what the processor can do? thanks a lot, also with a better cpu cooler would it be advisable to add an extra exhaust fan? and at back or top?, i can put one more on my Mobo, or would it make no difference, thanks :)

endyen

Splendid
You can find out how fast the fan will go, by setting it to full speed in bios.
As to how high your chip can go ,on stock cooling, you tell us. Different users, different luck, different chips, mobos, even ram, different luck. Since it costs nothing to try, just go for it. Just use a burn-in program and watch your temps as you go.
Dont start high, just little bumps at a time. It's kind of like playing chicken. It can be very addicting, so dont get hooked (ioo much) and enjoy.

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, i meant 3-3.2 with stock cooler and yes, with an aditional exhaust fan right behind the cpu cooler the hot air will get out of the case, i personally cant install a top exhaust fan cuz my case doesnt have where to install it, but considering the hot air will go up it might be better to put it on top and install the cpu cooler to blow the air up towards the fan. :)

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
thanks, i have just been experimenting and i found a thing on the bios that just overclocks 5% 10% and 15% all presets so i don have to worry about the specifics and i got it stress testing on 5% atm 2.7Ghz is now 2.83Ghz and its running at about 47-48c after 10 minutes and at stock it was 46c and this is under 100% load, so i think thats seems quite stable, what do you think i may go 10% after 2 hrs of testing, but i'd like an opinion, if the temp doesn't move from 47 for over an hour should i be aright to bump it up another 5% :), thanks

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
oh and 20%, i put it on 10% (2.98Ghz), and after a couple of minutes of testing i could hear a little rapid clicking and it might have been the fan but not sure so i stopped it and went back, i'll try again though, thanks

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
so at 10% OC it is 48C 1600rpm under load, sound good? and will a top mounted fan have any effect on my cpu temps, and one more thing (i know i ask alot of questions) when CPU specs say T.case temp 71 degrees, does "PC probe" measure t.case or core temp and from what i know intel core temp max is like 100C is that right?

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
oh i switched the fan to performance mode and for an extra 400 rpm the temp dropped from 49 to 46 under load, so thats a plus, but the motherboard temps are starting to rise, from 28 to 33 now with OC, is that just cause the cpu heat is increasing case temp or is it cause of the load

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, max temp for the CPU is 100c and your PC will restart if it reaches it. About the fan - it is good to have an exhaust fan so it can take out the hot air out of the case so yes, it will help. Those mobo temps are safe, i see ppl arround the forums hitting 50c without having any problems. Btw, what is your mobo ? The procent overclock is easy, but you should be overclocking it by raising you FSB and if needed lowering your dram:fsb rating.

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
There is no downside, its just that by doing it manually you can OC your cpu further than just 15 or 20 procent. http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1620587 - i achieved 4.2Ghz OC manually ( i dont even have an automatic 15 or 20 procent OC on my BIOS :D ), and thats like 50 % OC.
I would suggest you read this http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316 . Yes, it is alot of info so it would be good to make notes or just print it so when you mess in the bios you would know what to do. :)

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
i'm still using the stock cooler at the moment and with that i can get it 3.46Ghz (20% O.C), and right now i don't see any use for any more speed, and what effect does cpu speed have on programs and games from what i know graphics affect the frames and look of the game and sufficient ram will just make sure it's not having to access HDD's regularly causing lag so what does the processor actually do like what improvement will i see from 3.4 to say 4Ghz or even from what i am on now (2.98) to 3.48Ghz

right now i'm on things like BC2, MW2 and Crysis (started today actually)

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Having a low end cpu with a low clock speed would bottleneck your gpu (if it is high end), but you shouldnt be having that problem with this cpu. Having higher cpu clock speed will increase the performace of everything - it will reduce the time required for image editing, video encoding, rendering etc, it will increase the framerates in some games, here you can see the difference in fps in wow:cataclysm http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,review-32061-9.html ( i saw a simular scaling about an i7 950 in another game but cant find it right now. I hope you get the idea.

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
so increasing cpu FSB you're allowing all other components to work to their or closer to their full potential, thanks you have been a great help :), i'm getting an ATI Asus 5770 Card and hopefully i will get great results, so with the GPU and 3.46Ghz which is i think like 940FSB or something, do you think i will get good results out of it or could it still preform at 2.98Ghz with 860FSB i'm pretty sure the card has a 850 clock speed.

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I play Metro 2033, NFS Hot Pirsuit, Assassins Creed 2, BC2, Black Ops etc. with an Ati Powercolor 4670 1gb at 1440 x 900 and im getting good framerates so the 5770 should give you great results :)

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
hey for some reason i pumped up my cpu to a 20% OC but now it is putting out less heat under stress test, same test but like 6 less degrees i ran it twice over 2 hours.
At 10% OC with my fan at 2200RPM, it was 47c and now it's moving around 43-44 and wont go above and that, but the fan is only doing 1600-1700RPM, wtf...could you explain i have no idea, i'm not complaining cause i'm happy with 3.24Ghz, :p