Which gigabyte mobo should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alltheicons

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
So i've been looking for a good reliable and as futureproof motherboard for a budget price. I was looking at the gigabyte z68-ud3 and gigabyte z68-ud3p but im not sure exactly what the differwnce is. Any suggestions? What exactly am i getting out of the p series for paying about $30 more?

Solution
You would be looking for multiplier settings, since the k series comes with an unlocked multiplier. Some folks will also bump up the cpu voltage, but I usually leave mine alone. You can usually get a modest overclock with the stock voltage and heatsink. You should also check the area around the cpu if using a large aftermarket heatsink. Some may be too large for your case. I would also look for a energy saving program in the bios. My biostar will run the program even when I overclock the cpu; some boards won't do this. I like saving energy.
The p series has more overclocking options for some cpus and some have 3 pc-e slots. I would download the bios and look for overclocking or multiplier unlocking options in whatever board you choose before you order. It only takes a few minutes.

You would be looking for multiplier settings, since the k series comes with an unlocked multiplier. Some folks will also bump up the cpu voltage, but I usually leave mine alone. You can usually get a modest overclock with the stock voltage and heatsink. You should also check the area around the cpu if using a large aftermarket heatsink. Some may be too large for your case. I would also look for a energy saving program in the bios. My biostar will run the program even when I overclock the cpu; some boards won't do this. I like saving energy.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.