Sign in with
Your question

[halp] 3-Screens, 1 GPU (which to get?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2010 1:36:04 PM

Hello ladies & gentlemen, most gentlemen I guess tho!

At the moment I'm running 2 monitors on a NVidia 8800GTX, decent PC, monitors being a samsung 226BW & a T240HD (also telly). I've ordered meself a new PC, all but the GPU.

The new PC, will be somewhat overclocked, relevant parts/specs:
MoBo: Asus P6T Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core i7 950
RAM: kingston hyperx 1600mhz, 3x 2GB

Now for gaming I'd prefer to keep using my T240, 1920/1200 suits me fine, but for work (and cause it looks awesome!) i'd like to switch from a dual-monitor setup to a triple-monitor setup. I've been reading up on passive/active converters, topics on toms & tweaker-sites, GPU topics, multi-display, eyefinity, displayports etc and I'm afraid I don't know enough about it to make a sound judgment on "what should I get"... Hence my question here, hoping you can offer your insights.

Use:
# I'll likely not make use of 5760/1200 gaming res, 1 screen suits me just fine. Altho, if it's an option I'll try out and see how I like it, HawX & MW2 beg for tripdisplay use! So yeah, gaming... Mass Effect (1&2), Dinopark Tycoon (YEAH!), Anno1404, Starcraft2, Far Cry 2, Soldiers of Fortune: Gold, Modern Warfare 2 (black ops in a bit), HawX. So primary screen gaming mostly, maybe use 2nd & 3rd screen if game supports it and I like it, not a necessity.
# Working on my thesis for uni, I have to say that 2 screens can hold old the info im moving back & forth between, a 3rd screen would eliminate the swapping between msn/conference/outlook/skype and the thing im working on (a lot of communication going on hehe)
# Actual work in my sparetime, I do administrative work for several companies and there's always a couple of sheets, emails & books open, 3rd screen would be lovely here as well.

So the plan is:
Keep T240, add 2x 24" screen, Ultimately I'd love it if it could sport 5760/1200 res over the entire display.

* I came across the HP Compaq LA2405WG for 295 euro's each
** which is a decent enough screenand has all the specs I desire of such monitors
** 24", 1920/1200 res, pivotable, adjustable height, this screen has a DISPLAYPORT input.
** http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/249287/hp-compaq-la2405w...

* Another interesting screen is the Samsung 2443BW 225euro's each
** 24", 1920/1200 res, adjustable height, I love samsung
** http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/245685/samsung-syncmaste...
** The samsung does not have a displayport so I assume I'll need an active DP>DVI-D converter (~100euro's).

Question:
# What's a suitable graphics card to do the job?
# Which monitor would you recommend (if you know solid contenders from the top of your head, feel free to add 'm)?
# Will I need converters?

I'm thinking an ATI 5850/70 (sapphire, gygabite or w/e) supports up to 3 screens, 1x HDMI, 2x DVI, 1x Displayport. Probably 1 of the DVI/HDMI won't work (2 channel) so I'll have to have a monitor with DP or an active converter if it's a monitor without DP. 2 monitors with DP/DVI, 1 on DVI, 1 on DP, T240 on HDMI works? or 2 monitors with DVI, 1 uses the converter (DP > DVI), 1 uses the DVI, T240 uses the HDMI (or the other DVI)... I'm just guessing tho, this situation is a proper mindf*ck :heink:  .

More about : halp screens gpu

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 1:42:13 PM

ATI eyeInfinity would do this for you quite well (5770, 5850, 5870, or 5970), it is easy to setup and is quite configurable. The 5870 would probably do you best at the resolution you are looking to run at.

Monitors I tend the recomend the Samsung as I have really liked their products in the past but the HP is quite a comparable monitor. You do need to convert the display port if you don't have a monitor with display port in.
October 4, 2010 3:11:01 PM

deweycd said:
ATI eyeInfinity would do this for you quite well (5770, 5850, 5870, or 5970), it is easy to setup and is quite configurable. The 5870 would probably do you best at the resolution you are looking to run at.

Monitors I tend the recomend the Samsung as I have really liked their products in the past but the HP is quite a comparable monitor. You do need to convert the display port if you don't have a monitor with display port in.

So... taking your advice to heart,

GPU: 5850

HDMI: T240HD
DVI-D#1: Samsung 2443BW
DVI-D#2: Not used (presumably 2channel HDMI, so can't use it... yes?)
DP: Converter DP>DVI-D: Samsung 2443BW

Based on that I could buy:
2x Samsung 2443BW (225euro's each), 1x active DP>DVI-D Converter (115 euro's) & an AMD HD5850 OC Club3D (260 euro's). A total of 815 euro's.
or
2x HP Compaq LA2405WG (295 euro's each) & AMD HD5850 OC Club3D (260 euro's). A total of 850 euro's.

How's that sound in your opinion?

# GPU from another factory?
# Pay 80 bucks more for the 5870?
# Samsungs + 1 converter or 2 HP's, eventho the HP are more expensive?
# Am I assuming correctly that I only need 1 converter?
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 3:28:46 PM

GPU brand I will leave up to you, I don't know much about Club3d so I can't comment. I selected Sapphire only becasue there were no other choices from my supplier.

If you have the money buy the 5870, it does improve the situation for you with a higher resolution.

Your monitor setup of 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1DP works perfectly based on ATI's documentation. You cannot use 2 DVI and 1 HDMI at the same time, it is either 1 HDMI and 1 DVI or just 2 DVI.

You only need 1 converter, there is only 1 DP on the card unless you get the eyeInfinity card where you would need 3 converters. I suggest you don't get an eyeInfinity card, just get the regular version.

As for the monitors, again this is up to you. If the HPs are display port only then you will need a converter as the cards only have 1 display port. I still perfer Samsung personally. I use an HP for work and a Samsung at home incase your wondering about my experience with both.
!